Thomas Sowell to Mark Levin: concept of systemic racism ‘has no meaning’

Thomas Sowell to Mark Levin: concept of systemic racism ‘has no meaning’

“It really has no meaning that can be specified and tested in the way that one tests hypotheses”

Listen to this article

Thomas Sowell joined Mark Levin Sunday and discussed and oft using leftist claim —- systemic racism.

“It really has no meaning that can be specified and tested in the way that one tests hypotheses,” Said Sowell.

More from Fox News:

Economist and author Thomas Sowell told “Life Liberty & Levin” in an interview airing Sunday evening that the left’s claim that America is beset by “systemic racism” has no definitive meaning and cannot be “tested” in any empirical manner.

“You hear this phrase, ‘systemic racism’ [or] ‘systemic oppression’,” host Mark Levin told Sowell. “You hear it on our college campuses. You hear it from very wealthy and fabulously famous sports stars. What does that mean? And whatever it means, is it true?”

“It really has no meaning that can be specified and tested in the way that one tests hypotheses,” answered Sowell, who added that the currency of the phrase reminds him of the “propaganda tactics” of Nazi Germany, where Sowell claimed that if a lie was “repeated long enough and loud enough” it would be widely believed.

… Sowell chimed in that while activists claim to be casting off racial and class differences, they only end up creating their own “nomenclature” and establishing their own hierarchies.

“If the election goes to [Joe] Biden,” he added, “there’s a good chance that the Democrats will control [Congress] and considering the kinds of things that they’re proposing, that could well be the point of no return for this country.”

The entire interview is well worth the time:

Comments

krink26 | July 13, 2020 at 7:13 pm

That is not Thomas Sowell in the interview

rabidfox | July 13, 2020 at 7:13 pm

That the term has no meaning is a plus to the ‘woke’ crowd. That way they don’t have to defend anything against reality, just emote.

Valerie | July 13, 2020 at 7:16 pm

I went to the east coast about the same time as Michelle Obama, and I agree with what she described in her Princeton thesis: everybody told her all about systemic racism, which did not exist. But very Liberal racists did exist, and she met them.

I called it provincialism: it was directed at me, too, based on the part of the country I come from. Not racism, just ordinary prejudice against everybody different.

DSHornet in reply to Valerie. | July 14, 2020 at 8:07 am

Valerie, I know what you mean, having experienced it many times.

I’m from a state in the Old South. My years in the military and in my subsequent job for a large multinational corporation put me in contact with many people who formed an opinion of me as soon as they learned where I was from. I’ll never forget the time a man told me, in the presence of others, “I know you’re from Alabama but you seem really intelligent.”

It takes effort not to be that way. Too many are too lazy to bother.

Milhouse | July 13, 2020 at 7:20 pm

CorkyAgain | July 13, 2020 at 11:26 pm

Systemic racism, like “dog whistles”, is what they reach for when they can’t point to any actual overt, verifiable racism.

It’s the kind of paranoid suspicion that has convinced itself that it knows what people are *really* thinking.