Alabama: Jeff Sessions, Tommy Tuberville Head to Runoff Election for U.S. Senate

Runoff on March 31st.

Between the Crash and Bern and Warren coming in third in her home state, Super Tuesday was awesome. While much of our attention is on the Democrat presidential primary, there was an interesting development in Alabama.

Former Senator and former Attorney General Jeff Sessions failed to secure the Republican nomination for his old Senate seat and now faces a runoff election on March 31st. Former Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville won 33.4% of the vote to Sessions’ 31.6%.

NBC News reports:

Former Sen. Jeff Sessions and onetime Auburn University football coach Tommy Tuberville were neck and neck in the Republican primary race for the Senate on Tuesday night and will face off in a runoff election later this month, NBC News projects.

. . . . Tuberville had 33.4 percent and Sessions took 31.6 percent, with 99 percent reporting.

“I will fight for Alabama every day, and we will win the Republican nomination on March 31,” Sessions told a crowd of supporters Tuesday night. He argued that he was a proven and vetted supporter of President Donald Trump and said Tuberville would be further vetted during the next phase of the race.

Sessions was a popular Senator in Alabama before leaving his seat to become President Trump’s Attorney General. He was the first Senator to endorse Trump. Over the course of his tenure as AG, however, Sessions lost the president’s confidence and was eventually pushed out. You can read our coverage of Sessions here.

Trump, apparently, is still not happy with Sessions and expressed as much on Twitter Wednesday morning.

Tuberville replied:

Tuberville has positioned himself as a Trump supporter and potential ally in the Senate.

It’s a good ad. If interested, you can check out where he stands on the issues here.

Watch Tuberville after the Tuesday vote:

Sessions’ ad is also good.

For his part, Sessions is countering by calling Tuberville a “tourist” from Florida and reminding voters of his accomplishments throughout his political career.

The Montgomery Advertiser reports:

The result sets up a four-week race between the top two vote-getters after an extended election campaign that was almost entirely focused on which Republican was most loyal to Trump and with very few state issues.

Both candidates indicated they would continue to argue about who was most userful to Trump in remarks to supporters Tuesday evening.

“We’re going to overtime, and I know someone who knows how to win in overtime,” Tuberville said. “We’re going to finish what President Trump started when he looked at Jeff Sessions from across the table and said you’re fired.”

Sessions fired back later in the evening, calling Tuberville “a tourist from Florida” and accusing him of not standing by the president as he had.

“Anyone can say they are for the Trump agenda,” Sessions said. “But talk is cheap. But I have fought on the great issues of our day and won. I have stood alone on facts and principles and won.”

Sessions also cites his strong record on border control and the Second Amendment.

Watch Sessions after the Tuesday vote:

It will be interesting to see who wins the Alabama GOP runoff to face Sen. Doug Jones (D) in November.

Comments

SpaceInvader | March 5, 2020 at 5:44 pm

I live in Alabama. The only way I will vote for Sessions is if the President says he wants me to.

Katy L. Stamper | March 5, 2020 at 7:05 pm

With all due respect to all the commenters here, I will make a couple of observations:

1. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT JEFF SESSIONS IS THAT HE IS

****TRULY**** THE ****ONLY*** O N L Y ****

IMMIGRATION HAWK IN THE SENATE.

2. As said immigration hawk, he is the only one that works against increased immigration, illegal aliens, kneecapping our workers.

3. He gave us Stephen Miller.

4. **** He gave us Pres. Donald Trump. **** REMEMBER, Sessions was the FIRST senator to endorse Trump. All the rest were either running against him, or sour on him.

Was his decision to recuse “unforgiveable”? Not exactly.

It’s more an indication he doesn’t have the personality necessary to deal with that type of role.

He’s good in the senate. Who killed SB744 in 2013? I’m betting it was SESSIONS.

Tuberville talks about “conservative and Christian values.” Haven’t heard one damn peep about H-1B visas or killing Flores, or instituting mandatory E-Verify.

Wake up.

Substance over one serious error in the Wrong Job.

He was great – until he sold us out.

Katy L. Stamper in reply to TheFineReport.com. | March 5, 2020 at 7:55 pm

No Question What He Did Was WRONG.

But show me ONE TRUE immigration HAWK in the Senate.

I mean, through and through.

Sessions proved himself on this issue.

Tom Cotton had a nice bill. It went nowhere.

David Perdue shared it with him.

They aren’t carrying their own ball.

Katy,

We’ll elect a hawk: that’ll be the starting point of support.

If we allow ourselves to be held hostage by the likes of session (that is, we have to elect him because he’s the devil we know), we’re doomed.

It’s a new day. Sessions either sold us out, or he was incompetent. Either way: bye bye.

Katy L. Stamper in reply to TheFineReport.com. | March 5, 2020 at 10:38 pm

Fine, I agree with Pres. Trump: Sessions didn’t have the wisdom or courage to stare down & end the phony Russia Witch Hunt.

That is different than being a “devil.” It’s being a weak A.G.

In the Senate he has a Proven Record of STOPPING BAD immigration bills.

If you can guarantee me, and guarantee everyone who wants their children to live in the United States of America and not Mexico, that Tuberville will STOP BAD immigration bills, and do all that is necessary to stop the invasion of America, then I will concede he’s superior.

But right now, Tuberville is a giant unknown.

Sessions is a lock on anti-replacement of Americans no matter how bad an A.G. he was.

gonzotx in reply to Katy L. Stamper. | March 5, 2020 at 10:45 pm

I hear hitler was particularly good with dogs

Sessuons will never be trusted again.

Frankly, it is those people in the Cabinet that act like Trumps private servants, and not the civil servants they are, who should never be trusted. Certainly not more trusted than those sycophants who’s campaign is about how they will be a rubber stamp for Trump.

Heck, I don’t even trust candidates who do nothing but make promises. I understand the need in this day and age to know where a candidate stands, but it is just as important if not more so that you understand the philosophical basis and core beliefs than just be given a checklist of promises.

“Why am I not surprised that people hate that Sessions understands the importance of avoiding the appearance of impropriety, or that they think it is a negative that he worked as Attorney General and didn’t act like Trump’s private lawyer?…”

You must be kidding. (No, you’re probably not.)

Sessions didn’t act like PDJT’s lawyer. But he acted like the DNC’s lawyer.

If sessions didn’t know what was coming coming in, he’s an idiot. No one think’s he’s an idiot. Is he a coward? No one thinks that. (If he was, he wouldn’t buck the GOPe by backing PDJT like he did.) That leaves only one choice: he was complicit.

Get rid of this old bastard.

“You must be kidding. (No, you’re probably not.)”

Ditto.

“Sessions didn’t act like PDJT’s lawyer. But he acted like the DNC’s lawyer.”

No. He acted like the Attorney General. Criticize his job as AG all you want, but he has done less to help the DNC than all the sycophants and snake-oil salesmen surrounding Trump.

“If sessions didn’t know what was coming coming in, he’s an idiot.”

Oh, Heaven forbid that anyone think that their job in the Cabinet or Executive branch in general was to be anything else than a private minion of the President.

I get it. Corporate types are used to thinking that rather than being charged with a duty, they are the bee’s knees and that the corporation’s interests and theirs is the same. This is why I don’t believe Trump was, or is, acting nefariously; it’s just a very different world he was in compared to either the public sector or the public themselves.

“No one think’s he’s an idiot. Is he a coward? No one thinks that. (If he was, he wouldn’t buck the GOPe by backing PDJT like he did.) That leaves only one choice: he was complicit.”

Again you conflate blind loyalty in service to the private interests of an individual with a conspiracy run by the Deep State/Stonecutters.

“EVEN IF, he was completey honest in his ‘recusal’ (and at the behest of a blantant rat like rosenstein????), he’s just not as intelligent as we gave him credit for.”

More intelligent than some, and certainly with far more solid values than many of the brown-nosers out there.

“Get rid of this old bastard.”

Better him than yet another sycophant who will be an unknown quantity once Trump leaves office.

Firewatch in reply to The Political Hat. | March 6, 2020 at 10:19 am

I recall a popular president who was elected as an unknown quantity. Sessions has shown himself to be untrustworthy. Time to roll the dice and take a chance.

Katy L. Stamper in reply to Firewatch. | March 6, 2020 at 11:14 am

If I am bleeding to death because I cut myself with a chainsaw, I would rather have a proven surgeon administering first aid to me, than someone who was good at criticizing the surgeon because he turned out to be a lousy hospital administrator, and whose main job in life was coaching football.

When my existence is on the line, I choose the man I know can do the job, over the man who doesn’t even mention or notice I’m bleeding to death.

Tuberville hasn’t said one word about illegal aliens, etc.

Katy L. Stamper in reply to TheFineReport.com. | March 6, 2020 at 7:38 am

Fine, I think you and P. Hat are both incorrect.

Trump thinks he lacked courage and wisdom. Said it in his tweet. I think Trump nailed it there. NAILED it.

Sessions as part of the deep state, I don’t buy it for one second. Weak, yes; disingenuous due to his own ambition to be A.G., yes.

Sessions was unfair to Pres. Trump by failing to inform him he intended to recuse on day one. That’s like taking a job knowing you can’t do it. That was totally totally wrong.

He allowed the left to steamroll him. After all his years, he should have known the left’s tactics better than any of us and should have avoided the bait. He should have ignored his ambition to be A.G. That’s all it would have taken, since he didn’t have the sense or honesty to tell Trump he would recuse.

But he’s great in the senate. He’s great at stopping the Great Replacement. And that is EXISTENTIAL.

Unless Venezuela is your thing.

As for P. Hat, I voted for Trump which means I want his policies to be implemented – not the policies of arrogant globalists who pretend they don’t “discriminate” against anyone. In fact they do: against Americans, constantly.

If Donald Trump could be Cloned, and could take EVERY JOB in his administration, that tea would still be too weak for me. Trump isn’t doing mass deportations. I’m looking for that cattle trucks like I rode in, while in basic training in the Army.