Trump v. The Squad – Who’s Winning? (Reader Poll)

Trump v. The Squad – Who’s Winning? (Reader Poll)

The outrage news cycle is following a familiar pattern.

I was in D.C. speaking at the DOJ Summit on Combatting Anti-Semitism when the latest outrage news cycle took place … in D.C.

But I hardly knew it, I had other things on my mind.

Like getting a selfie in front of the White House.

I’ve only been in D.C. about a half dozen times in my life, and I have to say, standing with the White House behind me and the Washington Monument in the distance in front of me, still was moving.

As was walking and seeing the dome of the U.S. Capitol in the distance.

Photo by WAJ

I’ll always be a tourist in D.C., someone just passing through, in awe of the majesty of the monuments and national landmarks.

So I mostly ignored the outrage cycle over Trump’s tweets about “The Squad” – Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and Ayanna Pressly.

It all followed a familiar pattern: Trump says something outrageous, he’s accused of being racist (or a Russian spy), some Republicans declare he made a politically fatal error, he punches back some more, and a few days later the media is lamenting that Trump won the fight and is looking like a tactical genius. I don’t think it’s genius, more a gut sense.

The Squad hold loathsome views — AOC compares our struggle to deal with the humanitarian crisis at the border to the Nazis rounding up Jews into concentration camps, while voting against funding to take care of the very same people; Omar is a dyed-in-the-wool anti-Semite who plays victim when called out, but succeeds in normalizing her hate; Tlaib lied about her support for BDS to gain money from liberal J Street, and cries racism when people criticize her anti-Israel agenda; Pressley made an incredibly racist statement in response to Trump that she has no need for brown and black people who don’t hold brown and black views.

The Squad also uniformly are extreme leftists even by Democrat standards.

Senator John Kennedy summed what a lot of people are thinking about how Democrats have been boxed in:

So who won?

The emerging wisdom is that Trump is winning.

So let’s have a reader poll.

Who is winning the Trump v. The Squad feud?

Poll open until midnight Pacific Time on Thursday evening, July 18.

Comments

caseoftheblues | July 19, 2019 at 12:57 am

Trump stated what tens of millions of fed up Americans were thinking….we see millions demanding entrance into our country and then immediately begin to denigrate us and everything about our country all the while they demand free education housing food medical care….and get it while Americans struggle to provide those things to their own families

Looking at that Jew-hating slop at the end, I think the donuts are winning.

BerettaTomcat | July 19, 2019 at 7:48 am

If it is true that Ilhan so-called Omar is an illegal alien — https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2019/07/18/the-media-protecting-ilhan-omars-obviously-false-presentation-of-family-is-a-gift-to-president-trump/#more-166431 — she’s not qualified to hold any federal office. When will so-called conservatives give a damn about politica usurpation?

notamemberofanyorganizedpolicital | July 19, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Family Matters:

How a US Member of Congress was Raised by the Red-Green Axis
    February 21, 2019J. Michael Waller

Most people’s worldviews are heavily influenced during their formative years. Those influences, and their roots, are important to discern among our national leaders.
    ….

Omar personifies the Red-Green Axis: an ideological and political combination of Marxism-Leninism and Islamism.

RandomCrank | July 19, 2019 at 9:50 pm

My reaction pleases no one, at least to judge by the reactions I’ve gotten from Faceboo correspondents. But here goes: It’s along the lines of “a pox on both their houses.”

(Those without adult attention spans can stop reading right now. The rest is aimed at the third digit of anyone’s I.Q.)

I will start by saying that I didn’t vote for Trump in ’16. Nor did I vote for The Shrew. I wrote in Vermin Supreme, the Vermont performance artist who promised a pony for every American, on the grounds that if only clowns were running I might as well vote for one who amused me.

On substance, such as there is, I find a lot more to agree with in Trump’s ideas than I did in The Shrew’s. But there’s a lot more to governing than bellowing a wish list. As an administrator, Trump is by far the worst I’ve seen. As a political leader, he’s a train wreck. God help us when (not if) we encounter a crisis that demands public unity and confidence in the executive.

Fast forward to the latest button-push. On the face of it, it was ignorant, for obvious reasons. I say it as no admirer (quite the contrary, trust me) of the Somali congresscritter from Minnesota. If he’d singled her out, I’d have cheered from the rooftops. But that’s not what it was about. Trump drew a line around “The Squad” and called for their deportation. I understand the figurative, but let’s just call that one “tone deaf.”

Racist? Of course not. Purposely ugly, crude, and divisive? You bet. Did the Usual Suspects do the idiot “racism” dance? You bet. That’s what it was all about. “Trolling” on a national scale.

Will it help get Trump re-elected? Being an economic determinist in these matters, I think the Fed’s meeting this month will matter much more. All this does is goose everyone, or at least everyone who’s still hooked into the pathetic circus.

So Trump wants to win ugly again. Set up his opposition as caricatures. Cleave the country down the middle, playing the Politics of Subtraction. Thanks so much.

Barry in reply to RandomCrank. | July 19, 2019 at 10:12 pm

“I will start by saying that I didn’t vote for Trump in ’16.”

Your vote could have been used to help defeat a corrupt commie named Hillary. Instead you wasted it on some virtue signal that no one cares about. Your the problem.

Barry in reply to RandomCrank. | July 19, 2019 at 10:16 pm

Actually, re-reading that steaming pile of horse puckey you left in your comment, I think you’re lying, you voted for Hillary.

Get back to us when you have an opinion on the words of the squalid 4.

RandomCrank in reply to Barry. | July 19, 2019 at 11:39 pm

On the Internet, no one knows you’re a dog.

Barry in reply to RandomCrank. | July 20, 2019 at 11:30 am

Not true.

I like dogs. You’re nowhere near up to the level of a dog. Rat would be your level.

RandomCrank in reply to Barry. | July 20, 2019 at 11:58 am

I actually met Hillary and spent 10 minutes talking with her. Yes, it really does rhyme with “rich,” and no, I didn’t vote for her. That’s as much as I’ll bother saying.

Barry in reply to Barry. | July 20, 2019 at 10:36 pm

It is called a binary choice. Clinton or Trump. There was no other choice.

You either tried to defeat the corrupt commie or you helped her. You can pretend you were virtuous, but we know the truth.

Hollymon in reply to RandomCrank. | July 20, 2019 at 2:22 pm

RandomCrank, I don’t care about your politics, but you know, I hope, that you are trading shots with the Troll King. Barry is as loose as ashes.

RandomCrank in reply to Hollymon. | July 20, 2019 at 4:00 pm

I didn’t know, so thanks. I’m only an occasional visitor here. The fantastic coverage of the Oberlin fiasco got my attention, so lately I’ve participated more, but I do not know the individual personalities. As for my politics, they’d best be described as “right-leaning independent, pissed off at everyone on the two coasts.”