Trump v. The Squad – Who’s Winning? (Reader Poll)

Trump v. The Squad – Who’s Winning? (Reader Poll)

The outrage news cycle is following a familiar pattern.

I was in D.C. speaking at the DOJ Summit on Combatting Anti-Semitism when the latest outrage news cycle took place … in D.C.

But I hardly knew it, I had other things on my mind.

Like getting a selfie in front of the White House.

I’ve only been in D.C. about a half dozen times in my life, and I have to say, standing with the White House behind me and the Washington Monument in the distance in front of me, still was moving.

As was walking and seeing the dome of the U.S. Capitol in the distance.

Photo by WAJ

I’ll always be a tourist in D.C., someone just passing through, in awe of the majesty of the monuments and national landmarks.

So I mostly ignored the outrage cycle over Trump’s tweets about “The Squad” – Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and Ayanna Pressly.

It all followed a familiar pattern: Trump says something outrageous, he’s accused of being racist (or a Russian spy), some Republicans declare he made a politically fatal error, he punches back some more, and a few days later the media is lamenting that Trump won the fight and is looking like a tactical genius. I don’t think it’s genius, more a gut sense.

The Squad hold loathsome views — AOC compares our struggle to deal with the humanitarian crisis at the border to the Nazis rounding up Jews into concentration camps, while voting against funding to take care of the very same people; Omar is a dyed-in-the-wool anti-Semite who plays victim when called out, but succeeds in normalizing her hate; Tlaib lied about her support for BDS to gain money from liberal J Street, and cries racism when people criticize her anti-Israel agenda; Pressley made an incredibly racist statement in response to Trump that she has no need for brown and black people who don’t hold brown and black views.

The Squad also uniformly are extreme leftists even by Democrat standards.

Senator John Kennedy summed what a lot of people are thinking about how Democrats have been boxed in:

So who won?

The emerging wisdom is that Trump is winning.

So let’s have a reader poll.

Who is winning the Trump v. The Squad feud?

Poll open until midnight Pacific Time on Thursday evening, July 18.

Comments

Hollymon | July 20, 2019 at 8:48 pm

RandomCrank, believe it or not, I am an actual Oberlin grad and needless to say, I am sick about what has happened to my alma mater. Not the award, which was richly deserved, but the campus climate, which was very liberal when I was there in the 70’s and has now turned completely toxic as the word “Oberlin” becomes synonymous with intolerance and anti- free speech. I commented extensively on the Gibson’s story.

We have similar politics, I suspect. I’m strongly pro-Trump, but the guy is not infallible. The Dems are way, way off the rails. The Kavanaugh hearings were a freakin’ disgrace.

At any rate, I went back and forth with Barry (see above) until I realized that he had “piped aboard with a light sea-bag.”

Barry in reply to Hollymon. | July 20, 2019 at 10:30 pm

“I believe I can make an argument that those tweets can reasonably be seen to be as close to “racist” as they could be without actually containing the word, “N….”. ”

A lot of hot air and you still haven’t produced your argument that Trumps word were “as close to “racist” as they could be without actually containing the word, “N….”.”.

You can’t, not without being laughed at. But hey, we’re laughing anyway so go ahead and give it a shot. Try to actually do what you said you could, and not change the subject.

RandomCrank in reply to Hollymon. | July 21, 2019 at 11:21 pm

It’s sad to see what has happened to the small liberal arts schools in general. I think of Edgar Allen Poe’s “Masque of the Red Death”: one after another.

My politics are, at root, between the 40-yard lines. Or that’s where they were. These days, the magnetic fields are in chaos. Presidents are as much shaped by their times as they shape their times, so I view Trump as both symptom and virus. If Hillary had won, I’d have seen it the same way.

Idea-wise, I’m far more Trump than his opposition, but his execution has been poor, to be mild. The man is an exposed nerve ending, and so are his opponents.

RandomCrank in reply to Hollymon. | July 21, 2019 at 11:23 pm

p.s.: As for Barry, something tells me that he’s got an alter-ego on The Daily Beast. No more engagement there.

Barry in reply to RandomCrank. | July 22, 2019 at 12:52 am

Poor baby. All you neverTrumpers are the same, crybabies. Can’t admit the truth, you tried to elect Hillary.

It’s random cranks like you that spend time at the daily beast.

As for the Jamaican imposter, hollymon, she can’t do what she said she could.

Hollymon | July 22, 2019 at 12:37 pm

RandomCrank, See what I mean? This whole thing started when I had the temerity to suggest that the “go home” tweet was an unforced error on Trump’s part. Now that this story has lasted a week+, whack jobs notwithstanding, I feel vindicated.

Barry in reply to Hollymon. | July 22, 2019 at 6:59 pm

“Now that this story has lasted a week+, whack jobs notwithstanding, I feel vindicated.”

Why on earth do you feel “vindicated”? The vast majority of those with political skills understand that the longer the squalid 4 are in the news as the face of the D party, the better off the president is.

We have a poll up at the top. Perhaps you should peruse the result and see if you can figure out why you are outnumbered 95 to 5%, and that’s being generous throwing in the 4% that figure it’s a wash.