Report: Beto O’Rourke Attempted to Flee the Scene of 1998 Drunk Driving Incident

Has yet to comment on the allegations he fled the scene

In 1998, Rep. Beto O’Rourke was involved in a drunk driving accident and arrested. The drunk driving along with and a separate arrest for jumping a fence onto the University of Texas El Paso grounds are common knowledge, both to watchers of O’Rourke’s Senate campaign and his Congressional races before.

O’Rourke has spoken openly about both infractions, saying the drunk driving incident was a “serious mistake for which there is no excuse.”

Buuuuut, the police report of the 1998 drunk driving incident revealed a detail not previously disclosed. According to witness accounts, O’Rourke attempted to flee the scene of the accident.

From the Houston Chronicle:

State and local police reports obtained by the Chronicle and Express-News show that O’Rourke was driving drunk at what a witness called “a high rate of speed” in a 75 mph zone on Interstate 10 about a mile from the New Mexico border. He lost control and hit a truck, sending his car careening across the center median into oncoming lanes. The witness, who stopped at the scene, later told police that O’Rourke had tried to drive away from the scene.

O’Rourke recorded a 0.136 and 0.134 on police breathalyzers, above a blood-alcohol level of 0.10, the state legal limit at the time. He was arrested at the scene and charged with DWI, but completed a court-approved diversion program and had the charges dismissed.

In a statement issued Thursday, O’Rourke glossed over the allegation that he attempted to drive off (Chronicle ctd):

In a statement Thursday, O’Rourke did not address the witness account of his alleged attempt to flee.

“I drove drunk and was arrested for a DWI in 1998,” O’Rourke said. “As I’ve publicly discussed over the last 20 years, I made a serious mistake for which there is no excuse.”

Cruz’s campaign has declined to comment.

As National Review details, O’Rourke has used his past as a reason to pursue criminal justice reform:

The Texas congressman and Senate hopeful has cited his past wrongdoings in justifying his support for criminal-justice reform.

“Those mistakes did not ultimately define me or stop me from what I wanted to do in my life or how I wanted to contribute to the success of my family and my community,” O’Rourke wrote in an op-ed for the Chronicle published on Monday.

As these things go, the revelation is more likely to concern older voters than the younger crowd, who’ve largely embraced criminal justice reform for various reasons. Several polls show O’Rourke’s favorability lies mostly in the younger voting block, so the allegations are not likely to do as much damage as they might to another candidate.

Should the sins of youth forever prevent someone from achieving their dreams, particularly if those dreams are in public service? I don’t know. There’s certainly plenty of gray area there and room for discussion. The idea that one infraction disqualifies someone from a higher career goal is accepted everywhere but politics these days. That said, this is a question worth asking:

Comments

DINORightMarie | August 31, 2018 at 2:54 pm

Better question (than the one in the included tweet) – if this was a Republican candidate, would the media and other party EVER STOP pushing, harping, and using it to get themselves elected by knocking out their opponent (a la Obama and most of his elections)?!

/rhetorical-question

tom_swift | August 31, 2018 at 2:59 pm

This is a bit too vague to merit much outrage. A person who’s just had his car damaged is likely to be curious to see if it’s still operational, and he’d do that by starting it and rolling it a bit. Would a witness interpret that as an attempt to drive away from the scene? I’d need more definite information before concluding that.

In my book,even a dirtbag Democrat is not guilty until etc.

Petrushka in reply to tom_swift. | August 31, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Interesting that he doesn’t remember whether he tried to drive away.

Off topic, but the downvote button is simply too close to the reply button. This is made worse because the ads keep popping up and shifting the display while you are trying to post.

Mercyneal in reply to tom_swift. | August 31, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Did you read the story? He was drunk as a skunk and most certainly not thinking rationally.

Edward in reply to tom_swift. | August 31, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Someone with a BA of 0.13 isn’t trying out the car to see if it still operates after hitting a vehicle, crossing the Interstate 10 median and ending up in the oncoming lane of traffic. What is truly disgusting about this is the DUI and accident with property damage to others and all his “penalty” was a Safe Driver course and test to get out of the DUI with just paying court costs. I had a one vehicle accident, absolutely sober, where my truck left the farm road and rolled in the ditch. The JP had pity on me when he saw the picture of the totaled truck and I did the same for a Failure to Stay in Lane ticket (though I’m sure my Court Costs were higher than his of two decades ago).

DaveGinOly in reply to tom_swift. | August 31, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Someone who has been in a collision does not test the vehicle to see if it still works. They get out of the vehicle to inspect the damage from the outside – they want to see what the damage looks like. They might then decide to see if it’s drivable, having inspected the damage and judged it “not too bad.”

Arminius in reply to tom_swift. | September 1, 2018 at 9:05 pm

It would only occur to seriously intoxicated person to “want to see” first if his vehicle was still operational after colliding with a vehicle traveling in the same direction than swerving into traffic coming into the opposite direction.

Sane, functional people would first want to make sure everybody else involved were OK.

That’s like saying that someone’s first instinct after running a red light and t-boning a woman with a car full of kids would be to check to see how much body and paint work the car is going to need. Oh, and to make sure it’ll still start.

Arminius in reply to tom_swift. | September 1, 2018 at 9:25 pm

“A person who’s just had his car damaged is likely to be curious to see if it’s still operational…”

Love the passive voice, Tom. Beto was just some innocent bystander, wasn’t he? What happened to the poor guy who “just had his car damaged?” A bird strike, a goose through the windshield? The Yellowstone super volcano erupted and the debris fouled his intake? He had just driven into a sink hole.

Gee, I wonder why, in Tom’s passive voice, Beta just “had his car damaged.” His alcohol consumption couldn’t have possibly had anything to do with it, clearly. It must be something entirely else. Clearly a giant alligator grabbed his car.

And threw his car into a truck traveling in the same direction than across the median. And, you know, every time a giant ‘gator does that to me the first thing I want to do is make sure my vehicle is still operational. That, I hear, always works with Texas State Troopers.

Which is a lie as no one has ever tried the giant alligator story on a Texas State Trooper.

“Florida Man forgets he brought an alligator into a beer fridge.”

I’ll take your word for it if you admit that Beta O’Rourke is really “Florida man” and therefore ineligible to run in Texas. Because before I can buy your version of events, first I need to hear you say “We have achieved peak Flori-duh.”

NotCoach | August 31, 2018 at 3:10 pm

I think attempting to flee is a much larger indictment of his character than the DUI. And he is hiding from this as well. So did he really learn anything? Seems to me a vote for Beto is a clear vote for another extremely corrupt politician.

Matt_SE | August 31, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Faith and begorrah!!!

Old0311 | August 31, 2018 at 7:08 pm

I think he looks like a Kennedy, but there was no Mary Jo in the car. I’m shocked!

Arminius in reply to Old0311. | September 1, 2018 at 9:30 pm

He was a cash strapped college student. Elect him Senator and there will plenty of girls he otherwise couldn’t afford drowning in estuaries.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, you know.