Announcement

Announcement

Cruz Explains Why He Refuses to Endorse Trump

Cruz Explains Why He Refuses to Endorse Trump

What does it all mean?

Wednesday night, Sen. Ted Cruz was booed off the Republican National Convention stage when attending delegates realized the good Senator had zero plans to endorse Donald Trump. Instead, he encouraged people to, “vote their conscience.”

There’s a lot to unpack here: RNC reaction, Trump reaction, Cruz’s reasons, and does any of this really matter?

We’ll start with…

Cruz Explains Why He Won’t Endorse Trump

At a breakfast with the Texas delegation Thursday morning, Senator Cruz was peppered with questions from angry delegates demanding to know why Cruz chose not to endorse Trump

Full remarks are here, but we’ll explore two of the most important points Cruz made.

First, why he didn’t fall in line with an endorsement, despite party politics.

Cruz was asked why, when he had the opportunity to unite the party, he chose not to.

“I have to confess, what you said would be easy to do. How many people here are frustrated with politicians who just say anything? There are a lot of options that I could’ve taken that politically, would’ve been a heckuva lot easier.

There’s option number one which a whole bunch of people took, which is turn tale and run and don’t come to the convention. There are a bunch of people who did that. I ain’t one of them.

There’s another option. Let me tell you the politically easy option is to stand up and pledge your allegiance to whoever the party nominee might be no matter what. If you’re an elected official, that’s the right political outcome. Let me tell you something sir, I’m not going to lie to you. Whether you want me to or not, I’m not going to lie to you and what I said last night is what I believe. So, yes.”

The delegate continued and clarified that he meant to question Cruz’s lack of support for the party, not Donald Trump.

“So your point was support the party — the Republican Party — and I will…”

“The party has spoken!” interrupted the delegate.

“Sir, I’m happy to answer questions but I’m not going to engage in a screaming match. I actually believe in treating people with civility and respect. When it comes to supporting the party, number one, the four years I’ve been in office, there are a lot of elected officials in this room, across the party, and across the country, that I’ve traveled the country, I’ve travelled the state of Texas campaigning for, raising money for, fighting to help elect Republicans. But let me be very clear, this isn’t a a social club.”

Secondly, Cruz adamantly defended his right to withdraw support from individuals who personally attack his family.

A delegate pointed out that Cruz signed a pledge to support the eventual Republican nominee. She wanted to know why anyone should trust him after he reneged on that pledge. “I supported you and I expected you to keep your word,” she said.

“Thank you for speaking and speaking from your heart. I will tell you that when I stood on that debate stage and they asked every candidate there, if you don’t win, will you support the nominee, I raised my hand and I raised my hand enthusiastically with full intention of doing exactly that. And I’ll tell you the day that pledge was abrogated.

The day that was abrogated was the day this became personal, and as I said at the time, and I’m not going to get into criticizing or attacking Donald Trump, but I’ll just give you this response: I am not in the habit of of supporting people who attack my wife and attack my father. And that pledge was not a blanket commitment that if you go and slander and attack Heidi, that I’m gonna nonetheless come like a servile puppy dog and say, thank you very much for maligning my wife and maligning my father.”

Cruz then directed his comments to a gentleman in the back making “crying signs”.

“I will note sir, you might have a similar view if someone were attacking your wife, in fact I hope you would.”

“This is politics, you gotta get over it!” said Mr. Crying Signs.

“No, this is not politics. I will tell the truth. I will not malign, I will not insult, I will not attack, I will tell the truth. This is not a game. It is not politics. Right and wrong matters. We have not abandoned who we are in this country. No sir, I do not believe that is correct.”

Where I come from, trash talk someone’s wife and you’ll be served a knuckle sandwich. Guarantee my husband wouldn’t tolerate any such guff. But I digress.

If we must tit for tat on the pledge, Trump was the first to rescind his unconditional support of the eventual nominee. “I’ll see who it is,” Trump told Anderson Cooper after signing the pledge. “I could see [Ted Cruz] was having a hard time with a very simple question. I don’t want him to be tormented. I want him to be comfortable. I don’t need his support. I don’t want his support.”

Trump/RNC Reaction:

This one is a bit tricky because it’s all over the place.

The Donald’s response:

Cruz’s remarks were approved by the RNC before he gave them. He changed nothing in the delivery of his speech. No endorsement was included in his pre-prepared remarks and everyone knew that. There are also reports that two days prior to his convention speech, Cruz discussed the matter with Trump directly. So any shock in the aftermath by the aforementioned parties was or is political theatre at its finest.

Meanwhile:

It’s worth asking why Trump’s campaign would choose to stir up a negative response rather than let the speech go on uncontested.

WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN?!?!

Popular reaction is completely divided. To one camp, Cruz is a selfishly motivated traitor who blew any chance of party unity from now until forever. To the other, hope is renewed because Cruz stood for principle over party.

Interestingly, many who champion Trump do so because they see in him a departure from the status quo, the old guard, and The Establishment™ way of doing things…yet those same supporters are incensed Cruz didn’t follow suit.

More importantly, Cruz’s reluctance to go with the flow is not at all uncharacteristic. It’s his claim to fame. For better or worse, he’s always planted himself where he sees fit and is unmoved by criticism, backlash, and in this case, thunderous boos. Were his non-endorsement actions calculated? You bet. Virtuous though he may be (or self-promoting, depending on how you view the man), he’s a politician and is certainly no dummy. Will his actions help or hurt him? Is Cruz a hero or a villain in this story? In this political climate, hell if I know.

What Cruz did accomplish — he highlighted the very real striation dividing right-leaning voters; those compelled to support Trump in order to beat Hillary, and those distraught between the choices available (hence the appeal to conscience). Much of the convention (thus far) has glossed over the undercurrent of tumult in the hopes that unilateral hatred of “Crooked Hillary” will be enough of a band aid to get Trump across the November finish line. If the delegate reaction to Cruz’s speech is an indicator, it’s not going to be that simple.

I leave you with a question I posed last night, one that Cruz also asked during the the Texas delegation breakfast this morning:

Follow Kemberlee on Twitter @kemberleekaye

Comments

Twanger | July 22, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Cruz was a sore loser and a whiner.

Politics is ugly. Always has been, and probably always will be.
    People you hated yesterday are suddenly your bud.
    It’s the way it works. There are winners and losers.

So… what Cruz did was political suicide.

I will never vote for him in the future.

Arminius in reply to Twanger. | July 22, 2016 at 8:32 pm

It doesn’t speak well for your character that you think Cruz should have shown more loyalty to your “cult of personality” political hero than his own family.

Don’t vote for him, Twanger, since you obviously prefer political prostitutes. I seriously doubt he committed political suicide. He would have committed political suicide if he did what you think he should have done. Just bend over and take it.

Trump is basically planning to sell out conservatives and cut deals with the Democrats. He’s already shaping up to be a disaster. It’s going to be the Republicans that abandoned any principles or values they ever pretended to have to get onboard the Trump train who’ll rue the day. But that won’t included Cruz.

“What does Donald Trump think about Republicans maintaining their Senate majority?

“Well, I’d like thason to prefer Trump to Clinton goes down the toilet if that’s his attitude. It isn’t like we’re going to get any better SCOTUS nominees with Trump if he has to cut deals with Schumer as Senate majority leader to get anyone confirmed. They’ll be just as bad as anyone Clinton would have picked.

And Trump who was a Democrat until he was in his 60s likes Chuck Schumer; he said months ago he can work with Schumer, Pelosi, Reid, et al.

I’m not joking when I call the Trumpkin fanboi club a cult of personality. It is. No matter what he says or does you cultists will think it’s great. You are in deep denial about this guy.

The only reason left to vote for Trump over Clinton is that that Trump can be impeached and Clinton can not.

Barry in reply to Arminius. | July 22, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I’m not joking when I call the Cruz fanboi club a cult of personality.

Works both ways.

I just love the new nevertrump meme, he’ll be impeached. You’ve gotten everything else right…

Arminius in reply to Barry. | July 23, 2016 at 3:54 am

No, actually it doesn’t work both ways. If Cruz was casually remarking he didn’t care if the GOP held it’s majority in the Senate I’d be opposed to Cruz, too. Because you don’t get the SCOTUS nominees you want unless you hold the majority in the Senate.

But that sort of forward thinking is apparently beyond the Trumptards.

Barry in reply to Arminius. | July 23, 2016 at 11:42 am

Sorry, it works both ways. Which is why the cruz cult is blind to cruz, who cares about ted cruz first, everything else is second. You just shut your eyes to the political hijinks committed by cruz.

And I would vote for him in a heartbeat over the crooked nominee of the d party. Hell, I’d probably suck it up and vote Bush over that crooked commie, and that would be a tough one for me.

Cruz’s indignation is transparent to anyone not of the cult.

But enough about cruz, he’s done. He did himself in. Ego. It often gets in the way.

Arminius in reply to Arminius. | July 23, 2016 at 6:59 am

Evil electrons. The actual Trump quote from the article.

“‘Well, I’d like them to do that. But I don’t mind being a free agent, either,’ Trump replied when that question was posed to him.”

And I went on to say that if this is the case, since it is the case, then any reason to vote for Trump over Clinton other then than the fact he can be impeached goes down the toilet.

I have a problem swearing blind personal loyalty to a a man who demonstrates he has no loyalty to anything or anyone except his himself and his ambition.

“March 29, 2016, 10:22 pm
        Trump revokes pledge to support GOP nominee

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Tuesday backed down from his pledge to support any GOP nominee, saying there are some Republicans he might not back.

‘I’ll see who it is,’ he told moderator Anderson Cooper during a CNN town hall in Milwaukee. ‘I’m not looking to hurt anybody. I love the Republican Party.’

Trump added he does not expect his Republican presidential primary rivals to back him should he become their party’s standard-bearer.

“I don’t want people to do something against their will,” he said before using Ted Cruz, who was asked the same question earlier, as an example.

‘I could see [Cruz] was having a hard time with a very simple question. I don’t want him to be tormented. I want him to be comfortable. I don’t need his support. I don’t want his support.’

Cruz strongly suggested he would not support Trump as the GOP nominee earlier Tuesday evening, but stopped short of a definitive answer.

‘I’m not in the habit of supporting someone who attacks my wife and attacks my family,’ he told Cooper during his own town hall appearance.

‘That is going beyond the line. I think that our wife and kids should be off limits. They don’t belong in the attacks.'”

I’ll leave the blind loyalty to you Trumpkin cult of personality types. The difference between me and you Trumpkins is that there are things my candidate could say or do that would make me withdraw my support. But you Trumptards, outside a one party Stalinist or Middle Eastern dictatorships, no one shows this kind of blind loyalty. Even then not voluntarily.

PhillyGuy in reply to Arminius. | July 24, 2016 at 4:06 am

And yet Cruz’s largest benefactor, Robert Mercer (you know him, he owns Breitbart and Cambridge Analytics), just bailed on him. He really hammered him. I guess he is a Trumptard too. Say goodbye to money from Mercer (only about $11 million). Oh and forget about all that microtargeting as well.

“We are profoundly disappointed that on Wednesday night he chose to disregard this pledge. The Democratic Party will soon choose as their nominee a candidate who would repeal both the First and Second Amendments of the Bill of Rights, a nominee who would remake the Supreme Court in her own image. We need ‘all hands on deck’ to ensure that Mr. Trump prevails”.

“Unfortunately, Senator Cruz has chosen to remain in his bunk below, a decision both regrettable and revealing.”

PhillyGuy in reply to PhillyGuy. | July 24, 2016 at 4:35 am

Forget his silly excuse about his wife and father. This was all because he got his butt kicked by Trump. His ego is so large that he can’t admit to himself that he lost. So he just collected his toys and went home. He doesn’t care about the party, This is the Ted everyone talked about in the Senate. He’s a jerk. He is going to pay a heavy price for that. If Mercer is willing to go public like that you can bet many of the other donors feel that way too.

amwick in reply to PhillyGuy. | July 24, 2016 at 8:38 am

Well, well, he ticked off his major donors? I wonder if his nose is still attached to his face?

Ragspierre in reply to PhillyGuy. | July 24, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Such a nod amounts to a dramatic change in position for Trump, who made disdain of big-money politics a central part of his pitch during the primary contest, railing against super PACs that can accept unlimited contributions from individuals and corporations. He called them horrible and corrupting.

“I have disavowed all Super PACs, requested the return of all donations made to said PACs, and I am calling on all presidential candidates to do the same,” Trump said in a statement in October, distancing himself from a super PAC that had connections to his campaign. “The character of our country is only as strong as our leaders.”

Trump campaign officials did not respond to repeated requests for comment.
            _________________________________________________

What were they going to say? “We pwned the voters!”

You’ve been duped, T-rump cultists. From the beginning.

Ragspierre in reply to Arminius. | July 24, 2016 at 12:02 pm

What’s fascinating is that T-wamp (the mean girl from junior high) and his/her T-rump suckers cannot leave this alone.

You idiots and cultists HAVE to have GroupThink enforced, and like FillyGui, you’ll just make shit up to put in your One Minute Hate!

It’s a marvel to see people who EXCEED the Obama cultists!