Is John Boehner in Trouble?

Is John Boehner in Trouble?

Speakership in jeopardy

For what is being called the first time ever, those closest to Speaker of the House John Boehner are expressing serious concerns about Boehner’s future in the chamber’s top spot.

John Boehner has been challenged before; back in January, Texas firebrand Louie Gohmert put his name in the hat for the top spot; two dozen members of the caucus turned their backs on Boehner, but as has happened before, the opposition wasn’t nearly widespread enough to oust him from power. Then, at the end of July, North Carolina Mark Meadows filed a “motion to vacate the chair” in what he said was an effort to get Republicans talking about the sharp divide between leadership and a small group of conservatives. Right-leaning advocacy organizations again took up the charge, encouraging followers to contact their representatives to demand change.

And now, we have this—a Politico exclusive featuring both on- and off-the-record comments expressing doubts about Boehner’s ability to lead the caucus.

Via Politico:

“That’s a personal decision he has to make. I don’t know why he would want to, personally,” said Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-Ga.), when asked whether Boehner would run again. “But I do think that he feels, in his heart of hearts, he feels like he’s doing what’s best for this country — regardless of what the political consequences are. That says something about somebody.”

Talk of Boehner’s possible demise is as old as his speakership, of course. The mild-tempered Ohio Republican has experienced wild swings in his political fortunes, going from hero to Republican-in-name-only in a matter of days. Earlier this year, roughly two dozen Republican lawmakers voted against his bid for a third term as speaker. Each time, Boehner has survived and returned to health.

But consider what he faces this fall: a quixotic but determined fight to defund Planned Parenthood, a potential government shutdown, a deadline to raise the federal debt ceiling or risk default, and a contentious showdown over highway spending. Boehner’s aides say they expect a vote to oust him, formally known as a motion to vacate the chair.

Boehner allies privately acknowledge the daunting challenge. “Who knows?” one ally said when asked if Boehner could beat back a coup attempt. “I don’t know. I don’t know how you change this dynamic.”

I don’t know how you “change this dynamic” either. Commentary on the situation in Congress is on a downslide—which makes me believe that the only way to change the dynamic is for Boehner to accept the challenge, but come out swinging. As the Politico piece points out, many of Boehner’s allies are frustrated by critics’ tendency to gloss over the things that leadership has managed to accomplish:

Set aside the constant threat of rebellion, Boehner insiders argue, and you have one of the most productive sessions of Congress in a long time. The speaker negotiated a permanent change to how doctors are reimbursed under Medicare, which they say will save more than $200 billion without raising taxes. He shepherded through the House the biggest free trade agreement in decades. And, Boehner’s friends point out, the Select Committee on Benghazi that he created exposed Hillary Clinton’s use of a personal email server — a controversy that’s dogged the Democratic front-runner for months and shows no signs of going away in 2016.

Critics are too quick to gloss over just how challenging an environment Boehner has navigated, the speaker’s allies maintain.

“I don’t think any other speaker could’ve gotten anything more out of this White House,” said House GOP chief deputy whip Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.).

“Look at what we’ve been able to do in the time we’ve been in the majority, with a Democratic president who has had a backstop of a U.S. Senate for the most part controlled by Harry Reid,” added Rep. Pat Tiberi, a close ally of Boehner, explaining the speaker’s message to the GOP rank and file. “Despite that challenge, we’ve cut discretionary [spending]. We had a significant mandatory spending program reformed in the ‘doc fix.’ That’s pretty significant.”

For many conservatives, though, “pretty significant” isn’t enough—and it’s possible their concerns have resonated, at least as far as GOP strategy is concerned. Both aides and lawmakers have expressed doubt over whether Boehner will run for another term as Speaker at all.

This will play out, probably in a fashion neither as dire nor as hopeful as the party or the base currently believe. If Boehner does field a challenger, I would encourage conservatives to vet that challenger as harshly and as thoroughly as they have criticized Boehner over the years. If these insiders are right, and a change of leadership isn’t just necessary, but coming, pulling the trigger on the first smooth talker to promise a “change in how Washington works” could prove more frustrating for the grassroots agenda than waiting out the leadership’s current slow-march strategy through the last year and a half of Obama’s time in the White House.

Comments

With the second GOP Debate looming, here is a dissertation on Trump Supporters, Trump Haters, Trump Curious and the RINO Media hacks who wage war on voters.

It is written by John Nolte at Briebart.com

Jonah Goldberg and the Anti-Trump Bourgeoisie

Ragspierre in reply to VotingFemale. | September 8, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Now, see, here’s the problem with that (well, one, anyhow)…

Bourgeoisie is the Collectivist term of derision for “middle-class”…which the Collective HATES.

Goldberg is a solidly middle-class guy, and a decades-long contributer to REAL conservative ideas. So calling him Bourgeoisie isn’t like calling him a dirty name or anything. It’s like saying he has a dog. He does.

Goldberg wrote a piece (which I hope to read tonight) on how T-rump is not a conservative. Apparently Nolte disagrees. I’ll get around to that maybe tonight, too.

The “Conservative” Tree Sloughs have one, as well. Meh.

The irony here is that anyone…remotely…thinks the T-rump has the BEST read on ANY-FLUCKING-THING related to middle-class America. He’s a freaking OLIGARCH, and has been a crony capitalist his life entire. He’s BIG GOVERNMENT Collectivist thinker, and a hater of market economics.

But, if you disagree with Goldberg, fisk him yourself. Don’t belch others thoughts on this. Especially someone too dim to understand “Bourgeoisie” and its use by the Collective.

If you had bothered to read the article before critiquing the headline you would clearly understand why Nolte specifically included the word ‘Bourgeoisie.’

He used it to push back on Goldberg’s use of the Marxist epithet ‘Proletariat’ to smear middle-class voters who are supporters of Trump.

Excerpt:

“Among those Goldberg describes as the “Trumpean Proletariat” (for some reason the anti-Trump crowd love Marxist references) there are plenty of high-profile Trump supporters attacking the other GOP candidates. But no one in this group — and this is important — has gone so far as to attack and marginalize the everyday voters who oppose Trump.

Ragspierre in reply to VotingFemale. | September 8, 2015 at 7:56 pm

You know, I scanned that Nolte piece and I can’t find any context that supports your bullshit.

Funny that…

Oh? What bullshit, specifically, might that be, Rags?

Ragspierre in reply to Ragspierre. | September 8, 2015 at 8:24 pm

DUH! What YOU wrote, putting words in Nolte’s mouth. Which he didn’t say in any context related to “Bourgeoisie” as a counter-point to Goldberg.

Here’s the first reference I find to Bourgeoisie in NOLTE’S words (not his apologist…you)…

GOLDBERG: Karl Marx coined the term lumpenproletariat to describe working-class people who could never relinquish their class consciousness and embrace the idea of a classless socialist society. Hence, they were useless to the revolutionary cause. I’m no Marxist, so I don’t buy the idea that anybody — never mind a whole class of people — are beyond persuasion. But I am tempted to believe that Donald Trump’s biggest fans are not to be relied upon in the conservative cause.

NOLTE: Let’s begin by helping our friends among the GOP bourgeoisie with The Obvious:
            _____________________________________________________

As ALWAYS, I invite people to read for themselves.

First of all, lets get on the same page, K?

bour·geoi·sie
            ˌbo͝orZHwäˈzē/
            noun
            noun: bourgeoisie; plural noun: bourgeoisies

1. the middle class, typically with reference to its perceived materialistic values or conventional attitudes.

2.(in Marxist contexts) the capitalist class who own most of society’s wealth and means of production.

pro·le·tar·i·at
            ˌprōləˈterēət/
            noun
            noun: proletariat; plural noun: proletariats; noun: proletariate; plural noun: proletariates

1. workers or working-class people, regarded collectively (often used with reference to Marxism).

synonyms: the workers, working-class people, wage earners, the working classes, the common people, the lower classes, the masses, the rank and file, the third estate, the plebeians; the lumpen, the lumpenproletariat;

derogatory: the hoi polloi, the plebs, the proles, the great unwashed, the mob, the rabble; sheeple

Now, granted, I didn’t skim the article… I actually read it. My commentary was my own takeaway of what Nolte is getting at.

So, to be precise:

Excerpt Of Nolte’s article:

(Nolte): To his credit, Goldberg doesn’t hurl names at Trump’s supporters but his sneering (and surprisingly clueless) incredulity does boil them down to unthinking, knee-jerk cretins

Ragspierre in reply to Ragspierre. | September 8, 2015 at 9:07 pm

…WHICH is ONLY what Nolte tells us HE thinks of Goldberg’s piece.

Which he lavishly tortures and departs from, along with making very free with the truth.

People should read both pieces.

But let me revisit my earlier observatioin: if you want to except to Goldberg, do it. Don’t just ape someone else.

John Nolte directly interceded on twitter during my last twitter battle with the actor Nick Searcy (a high-profile Anti-Trumper and confirmed basher of voters who support Trump) by addressing both Searcy & me by name.

I was giving Searcy holy hell for calling me a ‘Trump Humper’ and neither of us would retreat. Finally, Nolte said to us both… “you are both idiots.” Searcy withdrew from the confrontation shortly after that.

Ragspierre in reply to VotingFemale. | September 8, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Name-dropping…???? Again…????

You are just SOOOOOO special…!!!

Jealous?

It happened and it is pertinent to the subject of the article.

Why do you think I am on twitter?

To post pictures of my parrot?

I am at political WAAR with Liberals and RINOs.

Many people interact with high-profile people every day on twitter. It’s not that big of a deal. Not all high-profile people want to interact with everyday people and some love to do it.

Like I said… it’s not that big of a deal.

Frankly, I have a lot of twitter convos with a lot of people, a few high-profile, many are just average American folks, and a rare few are some seriously evil people in both the high-level and dime-a-dozen categories.

Ragspierre in reply to Ragspierre. | September 8, 2015 at 8:30 pm

No. I really do feel sorry for you. Like I said the other day. I have profound pity for you.

Well thank you for that kind pity, Rags. I can always use more pity. You are so sweet! lol

I pray for you to stop making such fuss about others who just wont bow down and flee when you roar you lionly roar at them.

It kinda reminds me of a movie character in the Wizard of Oz who tried to scare people. But, unlike him I do not believe you are in any way, a coward. You are the opposite of a coward.

Ragspierre in reply to Ragspierre. | September 8, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Except I’ve never…not once…tried to silence you.

Unlike you. You’ve tried it several time, in several ways.

You really HATE that in won’t work, I know. You’ve told me repeatedly.

I have *never* tried to silence you, Rags.

Hell, you are a prized ‘straight man’ for adding my commentary on the blog.

You can ask the Professor… not once have I ever lodged a complaint or went complaining about you or anyone else to the higher authority of the Professor or anyone else who works on this blog. That, is the truth.

Gotta go… have a great evening.

“Is John Boehner in Trouble?”

God, I hope so!

holdingmynose | September 9, 2015 at 6:41 am

Suggested criteria for any replacement: 1) non-smoker, 2) does’t breakdown in tears at the drop of a hat, 3) less of a tan than Snookie, 4) has read and understands the Constitution.