Announcement

Announcement

Erick Erickson Uninvites Donald Trump from RedState Gathering

Erick Erickson Uninvites Donald Trump from RedState Gathering

“A bridge too far”

During an interview with CNN Friday night, GOP front-runner Donald Trump indicated he was less than impressed with Fox News host Megyn Kelly. Kelly was one of a panel of debate moderators in the first Republican Presidential Primary debate hosted by Fox News Thursday night.

From CNN:

In an interview with Don Lemon on “CNN Tonight,” Trump on Friday accused Fox of asking “vicious,” unfair questions at the debate and called Kelly “overrated.”

Kelly had pressed Trump about misogynistic, sexist comments in his past.

On CNN, Trump called the questions “ridiculous,” called her “off-base,” and said, “You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her wherever.”

Trump told Lemon that he didn’t know whether he’d participate in a future Fox debate. “I might not, to be honest,” he said. “I didn’t think they were fair.”

Earlier in the day, Trump had blasted Kelly on Twitter and wrote that Fox News “should be ashamed.”

One of many GOP presidential candidates attending RedState Gathering, Trump was scheduled to speak at a reception Saturday night. After the remarks made on CNN, Erick Erickson of RedState rescinded Trumps invitation.

And then invited Megyn Kelly to fill the empty speaking slot.

Posting on RedState late Friday night, Erickson wrote:

I have tried to give a great deal of latitude to Donald Trump in his run for the Presidency.

He is not a professional politician and is known for being a blunt talker. He connects with so much of the anger in the Republican base and is not afraid to be outspoken on a lot of issues. But there are even lines blunt talkers and unprofessional politicians should not cross.

Decency is one of those lines.

As much as I do personally like Donald Trump, his comment about Megyn Kelly on CNN is a bridge too far for me.

In a CNN interview, Mr. Trump said of Megyn Kelly, “You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her wherever.”

It was not the “blood coming out of her eyes” part that was the problem.

I think there is no way to otherwise interpret Mr. Trump’s comment. In an attempted clarification, Mr. Trump’s team tells me he meant “whatever”, not “wherever.”

…I called Mr. Trump’s campaign manager and apologized and told him I felt bad for Mr. Trump because he has gotten so much sh*t from so many people and the party itself wasn’t treating the guy at the front of the pack as legitimate.

I think that is true. And I’ve been very sympathetic to Donald Trump because so many of the people who have led the party astray refuse to even treat him as a legitimate candidate.

But I also think that while Mr. Trump resonates with a lot of people with his bluntness, including me to a degree, there are just real lines of decency a person running for President should not trust.

His comment was inappropriate. It is unfortunate to have to disinvite him. But I just don’t want someone on stage who gets a hostile question from a lady and his first inclination is to imply it was hormonal. It just was wrong.

Trump’s campaign manager lashed out at Erickson accusing him of exerting political correctness in his decision-making:

Trump’s campaign said in a statement that Erickson’s decision was “another example of weakness through being politically correct. For all the people who were looking forward to Mr. Trump coming, we will miss you. Blame Erick Erickson, your weak and pathetic leader. We’ll now be doing another campaign stop at another location.”

To which Erickson responded:

Erickson told the Washington Post, “I don’t like that I have to disinvite him. But there are bounds of what’s acceptable in our discourse and they’re not different for you, or me, or someone else. I’m not going to have a guy on stage with my wife and daughter in the crowd who thinks a tough question from a woman is because of hormones.”

But this is not the first time Erickson has taken a stand against those who’ve crossed a line.

UPDATE (by WAJ):

Follow Kemberlee Kaye on Twitter @kemberleekaye

Comments

Ragspierre | August 10, 2015 at 2:50 pm

THIS is what’s hurting Trump, and it has zip to do with Megyn Kelly…

He can’t stop.

Can you hear us now? ROFL!

Trump jumps up in polls after debate and Kelly kerfuffle 🙂
    Up 7 now at 32% vs Bush at 11%

Some commenters here may go on suicide watch :-O

Oh, and because you want to know, No More Kelly Moderator Petition is now headed for 50,000 🙂

Ragspierre in reply to DaMav. | August 10, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Let’s see how Mr. Establishment polls in a poll that counts (these are called “primaries”).

How big a fraction of the subscriptions on an EFFECTIVE petition to take Kelly off her job do you think 100,000 would be?

C’mon. Guess…

Barry in reply to Ragspierre. | August 10, 2015 at 6:48 pm

When the polls don’t support your statements, just claim the polls are meaningless.

Ragspierre in reply to Barry. | August 10, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Do you assert that polls can be meaningless?

Care to predict how Trump will fare in primaries?

Barry in reply to Ragspierre. | August 10, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Rags, you are the one making the assertion polls are meaningless. They are, of course, nothing more than a gauge at one point in time. One that has all you trump haters going gaga. If trump were at 2-3% we would not be having this discussion, so yes they are relevant.

Primary prediction, you go first 🙂

I’m still hoping for Cruz. But trump is a nice chainsaw to use on the statist republican establishment. I will continue to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

JackRussellTerrierist in reply to Ragspierre. | August 11, 2015 at 3:23 am

Barry, do you know what “internal” polling is and how it’s conducted? Do you know what “herd” polling is and how it’s conducted? Do you know what conventional or “straight” polling is and how it’s conducted? How about benchmark, brushfire, tracking and opinion polls? Do you know how filters and demographics are used in the different types of polls and why? Do you know ANYTHING about the mathematics and methodology of polling?

Barry in reply to Ragspierre. | August 11, 2015 at 8:52 pm

JRT, you’re just brilliant. I’ll put my skills as a mathematician up against yours anytime. I do it for a living as an engineer.

I took polyscience 100 as well. Apparently you failed at the analysis part.

DaMav in reply to DaMav. | August 10, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Who dares stand up to the Raggsy/Hillary Alliance, joining forces to trash Trump for daring to challenge Princess Megyn, fairest flower of the RINOcrats??

news-corp-rupert-murdock-prevent-megyn-kelly-from-hosting-any-further-republican-debates

Rupert who?

I guess News Corp’s WSJ was right, about the general illiteracy of Trump fans. LOL.

My observations are:
    That was not a debate.
    It was an assault on the Republican party, and Trump in particular.
    It started right out with a slap to his face.
    And it wasn’t a lot better for any of the rest of them.

I am wondering if they would even bother with going to another Fox News debate.

The RNC, the Mainstream Press and the Elites in Washington have forever controlled the conversation.
    Trump really doesn’t have to play ball with them.
    They cannot threaten him about money… but they still have power in the party nomination process as well as the media.
    Take for instance, the Red State debacle.
    They threw Trump out and replaced him with Kelly.
    She is a reporter. No more. What makes her a conservative speaker?
    Her Employer?
    Anybody ever heard of Prince Alwaleed bin Talal?

Anyhow, on that note, Tump can lay claim to yet another victory in exposing Eric Erickson of Red State as just another of those who believe they are the ones that should be in control of steering the nomination process to suit their desire.
    Alas.. Red State has completely marginalized themselves.
    And had Trump not forced them out, we might well still take them as a legitimate voice.
    Thanks Don.