Trump announcement like “throwing a hand grenade into the room”

Trump announcement like “throwing a hand grenade into the room”

My appearance on The Joe Thomas Show – talking Trump, Jeb!, and Hillary

I was interviewed on the Joe Thomas Show on WCHV, Charlottesville, VA.

We started off talking about Donald Trump’s announcement that he is running for president. My take:

“Donald Trump entering the race is pretty much like somebody throwing a hand grenade into the room. He is going to get attention, he’s probably going to cause some casualties, and he is going to absorb a lot of the oxygen in the room.”

There is a long commercial break in the middle, but the disussion about Hillary and the Democrats resumes at 14:00:

“People are afraid if Hillary stumbles in the presidential election, it will be the end of the Democrats in Congress for at least a generation … If they’ve put everything they have into Hillary, if all the money is flowing to Hillary instead of Senate and House races, and if Hillary stumbles, it will be massive damage to the Democratic Party … When people turn on her, it’s going to be in a mass movement that they’ll turn on her in the Democratic Party, we just don’t know when that point is going to come. It may be once there’s some major polling a few months from now that shows she is in serious, serious trouble in a general election.”

Comments

Merlin01 | June 18, 2015 at 7:41 am

We all love freedom of speech right up until the moment it is different than ours. I’ll never vote for Trump but I find the Trump hate unbelievable. Since when does more speech hurt our system? I agree with almost all his ideas but his tactics are horrendous!

As for donations, who cares. Everyone know you buy influence in America and he can afford it!

I do believe that he wants America to be strong again and that is good enough not to hate him!

Ragspierre in reply to Merlin01. | June 18, 2015 at 8:09 am

“We all love freedom of speech right up until the moment it is different than ours.”

That whole “self-parody” thing just flies right over your head, huh?

You agree with almost all his positions?!?! Which set?

And who is this straw man trying to silence Trump?

Merlin01 in reply to Ragspierre. | June 18, 2015 at 9:10 am

Rags you are free to act like an clown if you like but what part of “almost” is so difficult for you to understand. Did it fly right over your head?

Looking back a my comment I’m struggling to find where I used the work “silence” because I could wear I said “hate” twice. Pretty sure I never said “positions” either… but I understand that is lost on you.

I did manage to ask one question that you decided to ignore.

I don’t believe anything I said was condescending so I’m not sure why you would be insulting in your reply!

Midwest Rhino | June 18, 2015 at 10:01 am

Trump should have run as a Democrat against Hillary. He might have done us some good then. As is he probably helps Hillary.

Our debt bomb is a huge issue neither side can addresses honeslty, because playing Santa Claus is always a winner. Obama mocked Bush for adding $4T “all by his lonesome”. Then he added another $8T so far, not counting the $120T unfunded liabilities.

Trump deals with that by saying he will make Mexico pay for the wall, make China pay for currency manipulation, make the oil nations pay when we rescue them. His “you’re fired” approach is what the federal government needs since incompetent diversity hires give the digital keys over to the Chinese, the IRS attacks conservatives, Hillary takes foreign bribes … no one ever gets fired.

We need Walker for the win, a man that can handle those issues but still win elections. Polite Romney had business sense, yet he couldn’t win because the leftist machine (MSM, Hollywood, unions, the pope) controls so much of the message, and the unions’ GOTV is so well funded, especially after Obama.

The debt bomb is one hand grenade no politician wants to fall on … it means tough choices that tend to lose votes. Jeb or Hill mean going down the same debt bomb path, expanding entitlements, underwriting the leveraged elite … but we live in a delusional world.

Bombastic Trump adds a wild card. He says send back illegals, so a moderating position is to not deport, but identify so they (foreign nationals, not “undocumented immigrants”) can never vote, but do pay taxes. Maybe Walker and others can play off the wildman, and offer more rational solutions to real issues.

Henry Hawkins | June 18, 2015 at 11:35 am

Trump is a clown. He only runs for the free publicity and ego. He has little interest in politics unless it’s a presidential year and he weasels his way on screen. He’s a poseur. As a businessman, he basically uses bulldozer tactics to obliterate opposition to his developments. His personality is not the sort that accepts good advise from hi own advisors – does that ring any bells? He’s a snake in the grass.

We’ve got enough time before the election for his influence to evaporate before it has a lasting effect.

platypus in reply to M.K.. | June 18, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Apparently you missed the memo that we all have to have instant reactions sealed in concrete. None of this patience and mulling over BS.

Trump won’t win. I probably won’t vote for him. But, because he doesn’t worship at the alter of political correctness, we are going to see issues that need to be discussed, something that wouldn’t happen without Trump.