What and who Andrew Breitbart faced

What and who Andrew Breitbart faced

Saturday Night Card Game — It’s no coincidence that the Israel haters also hate us.

On this second anniversary of Andrew Breitbart’s death, Legal Insurrection and others are remembering Andrew.

Some of Andrew’s enemies in life, however, continue their efforts in his death. I seriously thought about not calling attention to such people, but that would be a cop out.

At the Breitbart Awards in Providence in 2012, the only blogger conference I’ve attended so far, numerous people spoke to how Andrew thought of himself as the point man in the movement, the person who drew the fire so that others didn’t have to.

It’s important to remember what and who Andrew faced.

When I scrolled through a Twitter search for Andrew Breitbart’s name, I saw a tweet by Max Blumenthal referring to Andrew reaching his “tweet limit” and linking to an article by Blumenthal from May 2013 mocking how “it was convenient that Breitbart’s heart exploded when it did….”

I didn’t remember what the beef was between Andrew and Blumenthal. So I did a search and found this video by Lee Doren (via an Erick Erickson post) explaining the whole incident and confrontation at CPAC 2010:

(language warning)

I’m not sure why I didn’t recall that incident, since I wrote about it at the time for the Saturday Night Card Game.

Perhaps the 2010 CPAC incident was pushed down into my memory because nowadays I mostly hear Blumenthal’s name when he’s attacking Israel, which he does almost every day.

Blumenthal’s most recent book about Israel, Goliath, was so egregious that even the progressive writer Eric Alterman, himself a critic of Israel, dubbed it The “I Hate Israel” Handbook (emphasis added):

It is no exaggeration to say that this book could have been published by the Hamas Book-of-the-Month Club (if it existed) without a single word change once it’s translated into Arabic. (Though to be fair, Blumenthal should probably add some anti-female, anti-gay arguments for that.) Goliath is a propaganda tract, not an argument as it does not even consider alternative explanations for the anti-Israel conclusions it reaches on every page. Its implicit equation of Israel with Nazis is also particularly distasteful to any fair-minded individual. And its larding of virtually every sentence with pointless adjectives designed to demonstrate the author’s distaste for his subject is as amateurish as it is ineffective.

It’s no coincidence that the Israel haters also hate us.

Keep that in mind when you hear about the BDS movement.

Defeating BDS is not about Israel alone, it’s about our own freedoms and civilization.

Related posts:

Comments

raven | March 1, 2014 at 7:24 pm

>>”It’s important to remember what and who Andrew faced.”

I’ll never forget. I can’t. I grew up with them. They’ve been around me my whole life. They still are. Andrew is the only person I ever saw take it as his personal challenge to call them out to their faces. He unnerved them. His challenge shattered their sense of invulnerability. They thought they were safe within the folds and behind the bulwarks of the popular culture. No ever hunted them down before. No one ever dared. We kept our distance and our “good manners.” Not Andrew. He went in after them, like Rikki Tikki Tavi went down the snake hole after the cobra in Kipling’s story.

sybilll in reply to raven. | March 1, 2014 at 8:16 pm

What a great comment/observation about Andrew, raven. It still astounds me that a man I never met literally changed my path in life. I can’t pinpoint the exact incident/speech/tweet of Andrew’s that was the catapult, but I remember thinking that if on my deathbed I can’t look my daughter in the eyes and say I did everything in my power to save this Country, my life was nothing more than an existence.

Phillep Harding in reply to raven. | March 2, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Oh, yes. “Good manners”.

Now and then someone will pop up over at BB and suggest that we need to stop being so impolite about attacking Moslems, leftoids, Democrats, etc. “It makes _us_ no better than them.”

And, yes, they do generally say “us”. Just like Mark did over in the Palin toll-ya-so thread.

Some of us take great joy in being as politely impolite as possible in stomping such Mobys into the mud.

What astounds me is the depth of self-delusion that these subversive, lying Alinskyites have. The spew a lie, and then somehow they begin to actually believe their own fiction.

This is something of a phenomenon that occurs in countries like the former Soviet Union. It’s Orwellian memory hole morality.

God help us all if we fail to expose and correct this tendency.

Andrew Breitbart inspired a generation of people who otherwise might have been content to stay asleep, to wake up and call these liars out.

Donald Douglas | March 1, 2014 at 9:21 pm

It’s hard to find a more vile POS than Max Blumenthal — and that’s saying a lot, given the left’s deep bench.

Bruno Lesky | March 1, 2014 at 9:22 pm

This post refreshes for me how I love Andrew Breitbart …

… and shines light on James O’Keefe — an original artist for liberty … Thomas Paine for our time.

When I don!t have to take care of family any more, I will volunteer for Project Veritas and smoke some anti-freedom coven. Hah. Maybe I’ll become a lobbyist. Or a Supreme Court clerk for ___

DINORightMarie | March 1, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Excellent post. Indeed, it is good to remember Andrew, and to expose those enemies who are still spinning their web of lies.

Evil doesn’t end because of one victory, or when person succeeds; we must be ever vigilant.

RIP Andrew. We miss you.