World atwitter now that Pope Benedict XVI is resigning

World atwitter now that Pope Benedict XVI is resigning

I became a Catholic in 2010, in part as a response to my involvement in the Tea Party movement.

So, I was very excited about the news that Pope Benedict XVI is resigning:

He will be the first head of the Roman Catholic Church to resign in almost 600 years, with his departure expected to leave the post vacant for around three weeks.

The 85-year-old German’s resignation letter said: “After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.

I became Catholic, because as a citizen activist, the church helped me with two issues that arose from being involved with politics: Handling insults with grace and, the opposite effect, letting the attention go to my head. As this will be the first new pope selected since my conversion, I am following the news with real interest.

The Anchoress, Elizabeth Scalia, is my “Blog-Mother”. She has inspired my political writing as well as my faith. She has some poignant thoughts about this retirement, comparing it to the last pope’s exit via the gates of death:

Perhaps Benedict’s retirement is meant to remind this exceedingly busy world — the non-stop, twenty-four-hour-live and very self-important world — that we are none of us indispensable; that there comes a time to step back, throw oneself into the arms of the Lord and trust that all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Yes, I am sad. I have loved Benedict XVI; he has been my favorite pope — I loved John Paul, of course, but as I have said before, he was a grand, dramatic pipe organ of a man; he belonged to the whole world and his writings are often so dense I cannot plumb them. Benedict has always been the more accessible tinkling piano, simply inviting one to come closer.

Personally, I suspect that the very sensible Pope Benedict thinks that by retiring rather than staying in the Papacy until death, he can direct the choice of the next pope and ensure a conservative successor. And, as I saw Pope John Paul II at the Vatican for myself and felt the love Catholics had for him because of his traditional faith approach, I hope this is the case.

No matter who is selected next to head the Catholic Church, with over 1 billion Catholics worldwide, the man will have enormous influence on the world stage. Unsurprisingly, Twitter comments are flying fast and furious:

Pope resigns tweets

However, as Twitchy reports, the resignation is a great excuse for a flood of hate-tweets:

Pope resigns #3

Because nothing says “tolerance” or “civility” like telling the head of the Catholic Church to slit his wrists instead.

For a Pope to resign is a historic event, as the year was 1415 AD the last time one did (ending Great Western Schism among competing papal claimants). I am looking forward to sharing news about the next papal election, especially as it is covered using all the new social media.

Tags:

Comments

Browndog | February 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm

How the Pope’s resignation helps Obama

Headline soon to be written….

wolverine307 | February 11, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Prof, while I congratulate you on following the dictates of your heart, I am amazed that anyone would convert to Catholism. Maybe it was all of those years attending Mass six days a week when it was conducted in Latin? Then having religious homework on top of that? I got completely burnt out on it at a very early age. To each their own, I guess.

JerryB in reply to wolverine307. | February 11, 2013 at 7:52 pm

It’s too bad you maintain that perspective. I’m currently inflicting this very treatment on my own children: daily traditional Latin Mass, and religious education delivered by nuns in full habit. The only difference today is that the Sisters don’t get to whack them with a ruler. They send home a note, and the issue gets taken care of.

It’s my hope that the next pope ushers in a complete return to tradition, first in doctrine and then in liturgy.

Browndog in reply to wolverine307. | February 11, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I’m amazed that you would be amazed.

Structure and tradition are the bedrock of ANY society, let alone ours.

Many don’t understand that until their later years, which is why I’m thinking You’re still in your “younger years”.

Juba Doobai! in reply to wolverine307. | February 11, 2013 at 10:12 pm

You’re still hung over on your burn out. Sad.

I left the Church of Rome as a kid but still remember the Latin and still appreciate the order and discipline of the liturgy. The comforting thing abut the repetition, the sameness of the liturgy is that when you’re old and sick, when you can’t remember much but deep inside you still want to pray but your mind won’t bring up the words, if someone goes through the liturgy with you, you can say along because it has been deeply engrained in your heart and mind through the years. A church without liturgy isn’t much of a church cuz the liturgy stays with you till death when it helps take you home.

So get over your discontents.

BUMPED FROM ELSEWHERE: The pope has offered his resignation. How long before Vanderbilt and other American universities demand that a non-Catholic be considered for the post … in the interests of inclusion, of course?

katiejane | February 11, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I’m surprised the Left isn’t calling him “a quitter”.

el polacko | February 11, 2013 at 10:54 pm

ratzinger’s legacy will include, both from when he was grand inquisitor and as pope, his demonization of gay people in terms that put the westboro cult to shame while, simultaneously, protecting the pedophiles in his church’s ranks. perhaps it’s time that the vatican be stripped of the ‘statehood’ put in place by mussolini so that the criminal abusers in the catholic church can be prosecuted just as any other citizen would be.

BannedbytheGuardian in reply to el polacko. | February 11, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Bureaucracy killed the Inquisition.

There has been a steep decline in Town Square burning s & tortures . People loved it all.

I am quite a fan of the Catholic church being who & what they are ie the Roman Empire.

Full Roman style Catholicism is fun & very interesting .

May all good Roman Catholics enjoy this time of joyful intrigue.

I am hopeful of a new Crusade . So pony up Rome. . bring it on!

katiejane in reply to el polacko. | February 12, 2013 at 11:22 am

Wow – I doubt that the Pope is overly concerned about the legacy he leaves among those who object to the basic positions of the Church and celebrate the religion’s downfall.

Ma Kettle | February 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I am nothing more than a sinner in need of Gods unending mercy.

I have been struggling with the news of Pope Benedicts resignation. My first thoughts of fear, have evolved into a feeling astonishment. The world is bearing witness to a miracle being performed in our midst. I firmly believe that Pope Benedict, as time goes on will prove to be the greater Saint of the Church and not the late Pope John Paul.

One of Pope Benedicts gifts from the Holy Spirit is the gift of piety. His life echoes the true piety suffered by former great saints in the Church. He has humbled Himself before God and the world. Taken up the Cross of Christ, during Lent. And what we are witnessing is the true living example of following Christ in the modern age and by the Holy See nonetheless. He has given EVERYTHING in this earthly life to God. By example the truest Apostle in Christ Jesus. We bear witness as lowly students before our great Teacher.