Psychology of an Internet Troll

Psychology of an Internet Troll

Another reader submitted infographic, called Psychology of an Internet Troll.

It’s too large to post in its entirety, but here are a couple of screen shots which explain a lot:

Psychology of Troll 1 Psychology of Troll 2

They say not to feed the trolls.  But we knew that.

Psychology of Troll 3

Comments

Thank you for this article! I needed that advice since there are so many ‘trolls’ at a certain site (not blogger) I frequent. Funny thing, it’s almost always women that are so cruel.

Ragspierre | February 24, 2013 at 10:41 am

Being Breitbart means taking it to them. Use them as foils.

I’ve been “Breitbarting” before Breitbarting was cool, and have been chastised for it.

Tough.

NeoConScum in reply to Ragspierre. | February 24, 2013 at 11:01 am

Rags…How is that accomplished without making their day?? The needy little f***s just sigh and become(I’d wager, IF they have such a thingy)whatcha’call tumescent.

Ragspierre in reply to NeoConScum. | February 24, 2013 at 11:19 am

Well, how did Breitbart do it? Did he let them say what they will…ever…without a response? I can’t think of a time.

And, in my experience, IF they get tumescent, they are primed for a cutting.

One practice I recommend is to print their hate-driven stuff off, and use it to educate your friends, family, etc. Also very Breitbarty, seems to me.

NeoConScum in reply to Ragspierre. | February 24, 2013 at 6:27 pm

‘Fraid you’re responding, commenting, replying to Black Holes of NEED. In other words: Feeding the Trolls. They LIVE for it.

NeoConScum in reply to NeoConScum. | February 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm

…for which, admittedly, I don’t have a saintly, detached, high minded history. I’m not wired for high tolerance of leftist drivel. B’yotch slappin’ the impudent trolls is sometimes purely irresistible. Or, as a late-longtime close friend used to say:”Neo..You’ve got an oversensitive Gag Reflex for Bullshit. Guilty.

Ragspierre in reply to NeoConScum. | February 24, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Again, you miss my purpose. And my purpose seems to work.

I use them as foils. I’ve seen blogs where they essentially go unopposed, partly because they can be so aggressive and nasty.

Many people read threads they will never comment on, so letting a trollish line of BS sit without resistance can give them credibility.

When I can get them to cite to a source, very often you can show anyone reading the thread how vacant the talking points used by the moonbattery really are.

It is an education…not infrequently for me, too! Research is good!

Again, this seems pretty Breitbartish to me.

Plus, I think it is FUN… But I am also so warped I practice trial law, so…

TrooperJohnSmith | February 24, 2013 at 10:46 am

I saw this on an “info-thread” on, of all places, 4Chan.org.

It’s amazing that even aberrant behavior has gone hi-tech!

NeoConScum | February 24, 2013 at 10:55 am

Hugh Hewitt had a terrific blog at Townhall a few years back. And, in those bygone days of yore(’06-’09), Townhall furnished a sharp Administrator, Chris Regal, who dispatched bothersome trolls nicely. Ultimately, with TH’s newer-all tolerant-looser standards, trolls became an infestation as were the pinheaded suckers who HAD TO RESPOND compulsively and Hugh shut down comments and then moved his site. He then, in addition, made a pay site, Hughniverse, which has never seemed to catch-on for commenting. Sad, as he’s one of the Very Best.

Now and then, when morbid curiosity gets to me, I check out Townhall/Tipsheet to see if things have improved. Nope, Nada, Nein, Nyet. The interns still have charge of the posts and the Trolls/Troll Responders have massive, infested control.

I’m still reeling from November 6th and mostly taking a sabbatical from political stuff—piles of Weekly Standards & National Reviews(even Commentary)are yet unread—but, Thank You Professor J. for this fine refuge!!

punfundit in reply to NeoConScum. | February 24, 2013 at 12:42 pm

There needs to be a strong disciplinarian in such endeavors. Strict but fair discussion moderators are a must-have. A basic set of published “house rules” comes in handy too.

1. Except for the most extreme cases, about the only thing that facially can be ruled out as trolling is passive acquiescence with the prevailing opinion.

2. Afaic a malicious motive is essential for a troll. A suspected troll may, or may not, be a loyal dissenter. A suspected troll may, or may not, be a principled idealist. A suspected troll may, or may not, be irrational without being malicious.

Online as in everyday life, there is no substitute for prolonged exposure to an individual.

3. Some sites allow registered users to specify other users for screening out. For example, I joined a weather board in order to get a heads-up about potential damage to my property. The regulars like extreme weather and they often exaggerate the prospects for it. I’ve screened out a couple of folks who screamed wolf at every opportunity; one went on to get banned but the second remains a regular.