Want to help flip a House seat?

Want to help flip a House seat?

There are a number of flip opportunities, just check out the Operation Counterweight Final List.

But this one would be special, getting rid of David Cicilline in my home District in favor of Brendan Doherty:

The latest polling showed Cicilline with a single digit lead within the margin of error and a vote for an “independent” candidate which exceeds the gap.  If the “independent” voters are anti-Cicilline voters, that would bode well for Doherty on election day.  This polling also was before Brendan Doherty started his air war and aggresive attacks on Cicilline’s abysmal record.

It also was before their debate last night (full video here):

Voters in Rhode Island’s 1st Congressional District watched two debates on Tuesday night: Brendan Doherty versus David Cicilline, and David Cicilline versus U.S. House Republicans. Which message will resonate?

Congressman Cicilline, the Democratic incumbent and the smoothest talker in Rhode Island politics, worked to bring every answer back to the policies of the House GOP majority and reminding voters of his longstanding support for core Democratic priorities – a potent appeal in a district that already elected him once and has gotten more Democratic since.

But Doherty, the former state police colonel, held his own and grew stronger as the 90-minute exchange wore on, displaying a familiarity with federal issues that was in stark contrast to his first major television interview, a botched appearance on Newsmakers last March. The Republican cast himself – if not his political party – as moderate and reasonable

This is a race where a last minute donation could help.

Please donate to Brendan Doherty.

Comments

This year, more than any other, has bought home how important every election is. Whatever the outcome on Nov 6, elections can no longer be taken for granted. Exercise our freedom or loose it!

creeper | October 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I posted this last week but it’s worth repeating. I donated a paltry amount to Brendan Doherty a few weeks ago, on the professor’s say-so. I received a hand-signed thank-you with a personal note less than two weeks later.

We need more Brendan Doherty’s. Do this. You’ll be glad you did.

DemNoMore in reply to creeper. | October 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Oops. You must have been typing your comment at the same time I was typing mine (below). I stand by my statement, however. I know this indicates what lovely, well brought up people they are, but I still want my donation going toward convincing voters in their district to vote for them. These letters cost money to send.

creeper in reply to DemNoMore. | October 17, 2012 at 3:22 pm

DemNoMore, you have a point.

There is another point, though. The thank you I received has prompted me to donate once again.

I wish there were a space on the donation form to write a note saying “No thanks necessary” or, in this case, “Thank Professor William Jacobsen.”

In the absence of that I’ll just have to put up with Doherty’s gratitude.

DemNoMore in reply to creeper. | October 17, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Methinks I detect a little snark there, but I still stand by my statement. I have contributed again just as often in response to e-mails thanking me as I have to snail mail. And with a much better attitude, since I don’t think they are spending money unwisely. Your solution is a good one to have a box to check whether we want to be contacted by regular mail. But again, I don’t want to be stroked — I want them to win.

DemNoMore in reply to DemNoMore. | October 17, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I want to say just one more thing. Creeper and I were typing our original comments simultaneously. I do not remember whether I had contributed to Mr. Doherty previously and received a letter from him. If I had seen Creeper’s comment in time, I would not have posted mine because it is not my intention to in any criticize this particular candidate. I was just making a general statement about letters I have received. So, I apologize to Mr. Doherty and will now go over to the main page and try to figure out how to change my screen name to Ungrateful Tightwad Bitch. (last part of last sentence not sarc, just a little joke)

creeper in reply to DemNoMore. | October 17, 2012 at 4:59 pm

You did detect a tiny bit of snark. I hope you weren’t offended.

I’m an old broad…old enough to be impressed when someone exercises proper manners. You’d be amazed at the number of blogs I’ve contributed to and received nothing from in response; not even a simple acknowledgment. Happily, LI is not one of those.

So yes, I like to be stroked. It’s the quickest way to my checkbook. I would settle happily for an e-mail thank you but it’s nice to see someone go the extra mile.

creeper in reply to creeper. | October 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Oh, and they WILL ask for your CCV number. No financial shenanigans going on here.

DemNoMore | October 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I don’t mean to sound cranky, but just in case someone from the campaigns you are listing is reading these comments, please stop sending out written thank you letters. I don’t live in the district or state of any of these candidates and would much prefer they use the entire donation to persuade people who do to vote for them.

counsel4pay | October 17, 2012 at 4:06 pm

The Prof’s picks are always meritorious. I gave for the Prof–and my heartfelt prayers and good wishes go to all candidates who are striving to make America honorable and great again.

pdxlady | October 17, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Please help and support Chris Fields, R-MN-05, http://chrisfieldsforcongress.com/ running against Rep. Keith Ellison, D-MN-05 (1st Muslim in Congress, sworn in on a Qur’an)

Please also help and support Marvin Scott, R-IN-07, https://secure.freedomdonations.com/scottforcongress/?a=2070
    running against Andre Carson, 2nd Muslim in Congress.

creeper in reply to pdxlady. | October 17, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think there’s a snowball’s chance in hell of getting rid of Keith Ellison.

I’ll throw a few bucks at Chris Fields anyway when my SS check comes next Wednesday. I’m tapped out right now.