Donation strategy in a political swarm

Donation strategy in a political swarm

From a reader:

Sorry to bother you, Professor, but I got an e-mail from a Wisconsin Recall Fund (which I don’t remember donating to, but they probably bought my e-mail from a list since I made several donations to Scott Walker and Rebecca Kleefish), asking for donations to help defeat a Jennifer Schilling, Democrat state senator.

I don’t intend to give them any money, but would probably donate something to her opponent – if I could find out who it is. I’ve tried several searches and had no luck finding out, and thought you might know of some sources I could try (or maybe you even know who this person is).

I don’t have a lot of money to donate to politics, but have been saving what little overtime I get for the past 2 years, so I’ve got a nice little “war chest” to help fiscal conservatives get elected. I helped get some elected to Congress in 2010, and it actually felt good! I do appreciate your suggestions on L.I., and have donated to several of them.

I’d also like to ask your advice. Do you think what little money I’ve saved for this would be better spent on the national races (other than the candidates in my home state of Virginia that I want to support), or would it better to send some of it to local races in other states that could make a difference? I’m not very knowledgeable about politics (and quite frankly would have nothing to do with anything political if I weren’t so furious at what the leftists – politicians and media – have done to my country). You seem very knowledgeable, and I’d appreciate any suggestions to help me focus in an area that’s foreign to me.

Thanks for all you do.

This year is like a political swarm.  There are so many important races and so many candidates worthy of supporting; it gets even more complicated when one considers the federal versus state issue.

I tend to focus on federal, particularly in a year like this when defeating Obama is the highest priority, followed closely by holding the House and retaking the Senate.  The damage being done at the federal level is so severe that improving our position in states, while important, will be largely irrelevant if Obama and the Democrats get to complete their missoin for four more years in D.C.

The swarm problem is why I created Operation Counterweight focusing on a relatively small number of congressional races in which relatively small donations can make a difference.

There are too many important races to donate to everyone, so pick a small number and do as much as you can afford as early as you can.  A donation in late August is worth a lot more to a candidate than a donation in late October.

I haven’t launched my own personal donation campaign, that’s probably coming next week.  I plan on giving until it hurts, because if we believe what we have been saying about this being the most important election of our lifetimes, then we should put our money where our mouths are.

Early next week I’ll unveil the final Operation Counterweight list.

(Search the Operation Counterweight tag to see who we’ve covered so far.)

Comments

malclave | August 10, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I just wish there was some way to make donations without being inundated with junk mail and phone calls for the next several years.

barbara in reply to malclave. | August 11, 2012 at 1:18 pm

GFL on that one, malclave.

Once you make a donation one time to someone, a bazillion others will buy your address/e-mail and innundate you forever. The first thing I have to do when I go to my e-mail is delete a bunch begging e-mails from politicians I’ve never donated to. (Same with mail – 90% of it goes directly into the recycle bin.)

Do yourself a favor and get a separate hotmail or g-mail account to use for political donations. Wish I had…. 🙁

OcTEApi | August 11, 2012 at 6:25 am

Obama signs bill exempting presidential appointees from Senate confirmation
    Published: 8:23 PM 08/10/2012

This significantly undermines the constitutional scheme of our Republic, effectively neutering Advice and Consent of the Senate for presidential appointees…

Our Government’s legitimacy is eroding right before our eye’s.

quiznilo | August 11, 2012 at 9:18 am

What’s this? Legal Insurrection PAC? Excellent! ‘LIPAC” sounds a little odd though.

Valerie | August 11, 2012 at 10:44 am

Just so you know, I got a phone call from an unidentified number purporting to be from the Republican party national senatorial campaign asking for donations. I told him that I am not a Republican, I have a Democratic history, but I am very much aware of the need for the Republicans to take the White House and the Senate.

I also told him I would be donating to Operation counterweight.
    The Republican Party has been dismissive of the TEA Parties, and seems to be buying into the lies of the Democratic Party, that the TEA Parties are all right-wing radicals.

For me, radicalism has always been an anathema. Radicals, in my opinion, are simplistic and wasteful. Part of the appeal of the TEA Parties is that they set aside the culture-war issues to deal with the country’s fiscal problems. I believe the cultural issues are routinely used as a wedge and a distraction so that scoundrels can have the freedom to take taxpayer money and divert it to their political cronies.

liesel409 | August 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Professor, I hope you include some PACs in your suggestions.