Akin confirms he’s staying in on The Dana Show, Huckabee

Akin confirms he’s staying in on The Dana Show, Huckabee

Republican nominee for U.S. Senate Todd Akin repeated on the Mike Huckabee radio show that he will stay in the race, saying “We are going to continue with this race for U.S. Senate,” which he then confirmed on Dana Loesch’s The Dana Show shortly after:

I don’t think this thing is lost by any means….I think we need to rush to the gunfire, I think we need to take this battle forward to defend America…I’m ready to continue this fight. I believe you’re going to see us, once again, standing in the U.S. Senate….let me make it clear on your program Dana, we are not getting out of this race. I’m in this race for the long haul, and we’re going to win it.

Earlier in the interview with Loesch, Akin spoke about party loyalty being short-lived:

There has been a big storm going on, really, and on the other hand I think there’s some very important principles that are at stake here…I ran for the senate, and the Republican party told me, when you win the primary, we will come to your aid….now what’s happened, the party embraced me, promised all kinds of millions of dollars and all kinds of. I misspoke one word in one sentence and overnight…they’ve asked me to step aside. The loyalty was short-lived.

And this:

We want to take our case to the people of Missouri….I feel like I’ve been hit by a 4 x 4 and I’m not likely to make that mistake again.

The majority of Loesch’s audience is from Missouri, and while many of her listeners expressed continued support for Akin, others called in saying they are scared about how Akin will survive without the financial support of the party.

If we step back from the Akin situation, regardless of whether he stays in–which it appears that he will–the GOP ought to take another look at themselves. Many Missourians who voted Akin in fear the Republican Establishment deciding their fate even more than the alternative. So much so that they’re reluctant to support booting someone with a liability like Akin, despite the controversy and fallout, because they are so wearied of the GOP.

If the GOP can’t count on the public’s trust in such a damaging situation as the Akin one, that is an even bigger problem as we head into the RNC convention and November.

Listen to audio of Akin’s interview on the Huckabee show here:

Tags:

Comments

Henry Hawkins | August 21, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Remember how long it took Anthony Weiner to accept that emailing photos of your, er, Weiner around is grounds for a immediate involuntary career change? Today’s deadline was for withdrawal without a court order, but it was by no means a final deadline.

Given what Akin said, thank HEAVEN the GOP leadership came out immediately against him. Now, when a GOP candidate is confronted by liberal media with the Akin episode (the guilt by association inevitability), that candidate can say:

“Yes, and we immediately and uniformly voiced our disgust and demanded he remove himself from the race. We only wish the Democrat Party would police its own as we have, given they have an Attorney General held in contempt of Congress, and a cabinet member in Janet Napolitano of Homeland Security being sued for sexual harrassment, and yet, no Democrat calls for their removal. Clearly, their behavior is acceptable to the Democrat Party. Well, we in the GOP hold principles and country above politics and party.”

CalMark in reply to Henry Hawkins. | August 21, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Akin leaving under his own power would mean possible rehabilitation. Instead, he’s doubling down: he’s above mere party interests; he’s about America, and to the devil with the GOP if they disagree with him. No one is going to tolerate a loose cannon like that.

If the GOP (somehow, unusually) gets its act together and forces Akin out, his political career is done pretty much forever. And he will be despised and reviled by just about everybody in the Republican Party.

Henry Hawkins in reply to CalMark. | August 21, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I’m suggesting that in a week’s time, if/when he’s down 20 pts in the polls all of a sudden and has little money and no support, and after the heat of the moment passes, he may finally learn to read, check the wall, and do what’s necessary to get out. That’s basically how it played out for Weiner, despite his early total resistance to resigning. He also has to internally reconcile going against what he believes is his God-commanded mission to assume a US Senate seat.

I do think the Dems will try to pound all GOP-ers with this no matter what, but I don’t think it will be as effective as they hope – the GOP having come out so strongly and so quickly against Akin can be contrasted by GOP candidates to the Dems’ tolerance of an AG under Congressional contempt, an AG complicit in the killing of hundreds of people including our own agent, a Homeland Security cabinet member facing lawsuit for sexual harrassment, a Dem congressman caught having consensual oral sex with a 17 yr old boy he solicited on craigslist, and on and on, none of whom are being asked to step down by Democrats, the theme being “the GOP, unlike the Dems, places principle and country over party and politics.” That could work very well if doine properly and consistently. Take it from an old amateur boxer – the other guy backs off quick when he gets a stiff jab in the face every time he presses you.

CalMark in reply to Henry Hawkins. | August 21, 2012 at 7:06 pm

You are absolutely correct. I believe that sooner or later, he will be forced out, and it’s likely to play out the way you say. I also concur with many of your conclusions.

My point was that if (when?) it happens as you predict, Akin is done forever. No one will EVER forgot how he sneered at the Party Chairman, the presumptive nominee, and the entire party from grassroots to pundits to poo-bahs.

Henry Hawkins in reply to CalMark. | August 21, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Oh, he’s absolutely done, I agree. Akin is not a young man and this may be a big factor in his hanging on against all reason (and I mean that literally – against all reason). He probably felt he had this election in the bag, me, Todd Akin, US Senator!My legacy is assured! and in an instant.. POOF ..it’s all gone. By his own doing.

I’m guessing it takes a few days to process that, eh?

CalMark in reply to CalMark. | August 21, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Mr. Hawkins, I agree with you.

There is undoubtedly something very wrong with Mr. Akin.

Irrational acts:
            – Cuts off grassroots feedback by shutting down ALL his phones then claims undying grassroots support.
            – Sneers at everyone in his party, claiming undying support from nameless “close as brothers” people.

He’s either an egomaniac, nuts, or evil. I vote for the first two.

InRussetShadows in reply to CalMark. | August 22, 2012 at 5:23 pm

No-one is going to tolerate a loose cannon like that, eh? The way the GOP has demonized Palin (and dare I say it, Paul) gives evidence of your point. However, I don’t think that many conservatives and zero libertarians would want to belong to such a party. It’s also against the principles of state’s rights if the national party crushes representatives of individual states at will.

However, I’m beginning to think that discussions of principle are a bit lost on LI readers, in general.

Anne : I think you layed out the situation very well and said what needed to be said.

InRussetShadows | August 22, 2012 at 5:38 pm

When pushed, the GOP acts just like liberals – no room for humanity – no room for a man making a single mistake in weeks and weeks of a brutal primary. Why, everyone should be perfect, and they should always say everything perfectly, and if they don’t, then we dump them, call them names, and spread lies about them – it’s the conservative way! Except that it’s not.

A man saying one thing one time is not evidence of stupidity. That is called a mistake, or an error, or a gaffe. Stupid is CHARACTERISTIC that comes from a PATTERN OF BEHAVIOR. It is not a singularity. If you decide to vote against someone on the basis of a single statement and then try to justify that by referring to things other people said that you didn’t care about months ago, YOU ARE PART OF THE IRRATIONAL MOB. In short, you are acting like liberals in their illogical, emotional, knee-jerk, foaming-at-the-mouth insanity.

What Akin said was a poor choice of words. As one human to another, I’m gonna give him some slack on that. I’m glad that he’s staying in. Let the RINOs, the bloody-handed abortion lovers, and the moralless Realpolitik apparatchiks tremble.