The Prius Presumption

The Prius Presumption

Still a duck, but at least he’s trying to fight the Prius Presumption.

Here’s how it’s done, but you still can’t change a first impression.

From frequent photographer Ulises:

Even Maryland Prius drivers are for Romney… And here I was thinking they were all leftist wacos…

Comments

Captain Obvious | July 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I agree with the above, don’t assume politics based on Prius ownership… neither side has a monopoly on being incredibly bad at math (and from what I’ve seen, incredibly incompetent at driving)

Captain Obvious | July 6, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Even my own math can be bad, it’s probably closer to 6000 gallons of gas or 240,000 miles as gas approaches $5/gallon

Henry Hawkins | July 6, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Wait until these hybrids come to end of life and owners learn the EPA will charge a $12,000 fee to dispose of the batteries. Hahahahahahahaha.

princepsCO in reply to Henry Hawkins. | July 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm

If that’s truly the case, Henry, I’ll just “push, pull or drag it in” as a trade-in for a newer vehicle rather than pull up to the EPA and ask for a good fisting! Let the dealer hassle with the battery issue…..

princepsCO | July 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm

As a Prius owner for the last 5 years, all your logic as to why I shouldn’t buy one is moot. I paid a little over $25K for it and don’t regret it for a moment.

I’ll probably not buy a newer one as they appear to be losing mileage rather than gaining additional capability. I’ve put on 116600 miles and am averaging over 48 mpg during that time. My previous commuter vehicle was a Saturn Vue getting 22 mpg, so I’ve basically pocketed 50% of my gas expenses that I was losing during this time. As my income has gone down during this timeframe (thanks Dems, Bernacke, and Obama) I can’t help but be thankful for this one area of brightness.

The Rocky Mountain Gun Owners sticker on the back really gets the reactions when I visit Boulder (CO), so I’ve got that going, as well….

OcTEApi | July 6, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Professor Star Commander lobbed a slow-pitch softball right over the plate with The Prius Presumption.

Allowing conservatives to easily jump on the eco-religion bandwagon for various reasons, including $5 gas prices.

While you may not be a leftist wacko, but it sure doesn’t rectify supporting the ideological underpinnings that support these cracker boxes…
    -the CAFE mandates
    -the ethanol subsidies
    -the bans/regs prohibitive to achieving lower gas prices
    -the eco-tax credits

IF conservatism is still rooted in free markets, consumer choice, and limited government, then targeted tax credits are not part of the conservative philosophy. They are subsidies that misallocate resources and create the crony capitalistic behavior that Americans loathe.

princepsCO in reply to OcTEApi. | July 7, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Come on….at some point in life one must separate the political from the economical on the personal side. Sure, I’m not going to buy a Government Motors vehicle during this lifetime (even if it’s the only car company left on the planet), but I still look at a vehicle as to my transportation needs, not necessarily the tax or policy implications of my purchase.

Sure, “…targeted tax credits are not part of the conservative philosophy. They are subsidies that misallocate resources and create the crony capitalistic behavior that Americans loathe.” I agree 100%. Does that also mean I take no deductions when filing my return because I don’t believe that tax credits for kids is conservative thinking? NO, if government giveth, I’m going to taketh! Do I intentionally seek out every gift Uncle Sugar dispenses? No, but if I’ve made an economical decision and the Feds are subsidizing it with money I’ve already sent their way, I’m going to take it.