OMG, it really is La La Land

OMG, it really is La La Land

We’re in La La Land, and my wife and I had the pleasure of meeting up with commenter LukeHandCool (below) and his wife, and separately with Cassandra Lite.

The photo is overlooking the left coast in Santa Monica.

Don’t worry, we’re not going to do the Althouse-Meade thing.

Comments

LukeHandCool | July 14, 2012 at 2:11 pm

The first time Mrs. Jacobson took the picture, she said, to both of us,

“Your stomachs are sticking out. Let me take another one. This time hold your stomachs in.”

To which I replied, “I WAS holding my stomach in!” (And the Professor was, too!)

Many readers are probably wondering what the Professor and Mrs. Jacobson are like in person. Let me tell you. I’ll use Andrew Breitbart and Matthew Yglesias, to illustrate.

Remember how you felt watching that trailer for “Hating Breitbart,” when Andrew is expressing his outrage at the elitist coastal mainstream media types for mocking normal, everyday Americans … and at the end he says to them, fed-up that they won’t fight fairly … “F**k You ….. War!”

Remember that feeling!? You knew then we were going to win. We had a General Patton. As Arthur Brooks has shown repeatedly, conservatives are happier and more generous people, on average, than liberals. Finally the truth would shine through with the warrior Andrew taking on those who constantly unfairly caricaturized us.

You had this guy who was adopted and raised Jewish very comfortably on L.A.’s Westside. Here was a guy whose upbringing showed little in common with “flyover” Americans. Yet, he felt he had everything in common with them, and he was not going to sit idly by as they were mocked and ridiculed and caricatured.

Two seemingly contradictory feelings probably hit you simultaneously:

How honorably special he was … and how normal he was.

Soon after watching a fed-up Andrew declare war, he passed away, suddenly.

Remember how shocked and depressed you felt? That feeling has lingered with me. For all of us, I’m sure. But after meeting the Professor and Mrs. Jacobson, I can finally stop with that ridiculous fantasy hope that Andrew pulled off the ultimate prank … wishing he’d somehow come back to us … and can now kinda say … just rest, Andrew.

We are going to win. How do I know?

One word: “Normal.”

The one thing that immediately struck me about Professor and Mrs. Jacobson was how normal they are. Please don’t take that to mean “average.” I mean normal as a huge compliment.

Just as common sense isn’t too common these days, when you come across normal these days, it’s wonderfully refreshing and you think, “Where did you go? Where have you been?”

What’s normal?

Well, ironically, for a graduate of Harvard Law, a professor at Cornell, and an increasingly popular blogger … and his wife … you might think at least a little bit snooty would be normal.

If, like most people, you’d find that normal … sorry to disappoint you … that isn’t the case, even in the slightest.

If you think normal is being polite, unassuming, civil, funny, kind, easy to talk to … bingo! That’s the normal I’m talking about when I say the Professor and Mrs. Jacobson are normal.

What’s abnormal?

Matthew Yglesias tweeting immediately after Andrew’s death,

“The world outlook is slightly improved with @AndrewBreitbart dead” is, although an ugly type of reaction commonplace these days, not normal.

Even though I despise Matthew Yglesias and others like him for that, I would never wish him harm. If he were to pass away and I were asked to comment, I would say something like, “My deepest condolences to his family.”

Wouldn’t that be normal? I can tell you from having met the Professor and his wife, they don’t have a hateful bone in their bodies. Although I despise Matthew Yglesias and his ilk, would I have been happy to hear the Professor or his wife say something like, “I hope Matthew Yglesias gets run over by a truck!”

No. I would have been disappointed. I want good people on my side. And “good people” doesn’t even begin to describe the Jacobsons.

We all feel we know what Professor Jacobson is like through the blog. Well … that’s him alright. As my wife said after we’d dropped them off after dinner,

“He’s a Harvard lawyer? But … he’s so sweet!!”

So, the shocking thing was … there was absolutely nothing shocking about the Professor. In person, he’s just as much a gentleman as his persona on the blog.

The mystery was Mrs. Jacobson. What would she be like? Mrs. Jacobson …..

“Behind every successful man …”

Dude … dudes … and dudettes:

I am here to tell you all, we have the greatest, sweetest, classiest, most beautiful, funniest, most down-to-earth, (did I mention sweetest, yet?) normal, NORMAL!! lady, a person could be blessed to know supporting the Professor and our cause.

Because of her unbelievably kind heart, her funny sense of humor, her unfailing loyalty and defense of her hapless little brother … I worship, I absolutely adore … my older sister.

I found out I have a long lost twin sister.

Feel good about the people of Legal Insurrection. Feel really good.

The Professor is the sweet, kindly friend and neighbor you always wanted.

Mrs. Jacobson is the big sister you adore and who, when people and teachers at school say, “Oh, she’s your sister?” … you feel so proud to say, “Yes, she is!”

So, I’m here to tell you we are on the side of good and normal.

We are going to win. We are going to win.

LukeHandCool

JerryB in reply to LukeHandCool. | July 14, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Whoa LHC. Tell us what you really think!

(Folks, the danger is clear. It’s right-wing mind control. DO NOT look into the professor’s eyes! It’s too late for LHC.)

LukeHandCool in reply to JerryB. | July 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Haha! JerryB,

Growing up in Santa Monica, it’s normal to meet and come across famous people.

My dad had a chain of stores and we had a lot of Hollywood people as customers, too.

It almost never failed … they would come in and you’d think that since they played a character(s) you loved/identified with, etc., so convincingly on TV or in film so perfectly … that that could only be because they were like that character, themselves, at least to some degree.

Sometimes the reality was profound shock at how such a miserable person could so convincingly play admirable characters.

Other times the reality was varying degrees of disappointment.

Rarely … rarely!!! you’d come across that rare, rare, NORMAL famous person you just wanted to hug and to whom you wanted to say, “Thank you for being normal!! My faith in people has been restored!!”

Remember Ted Knight? His personal assistant was a wonderful lady who was a daily customer for years. She told us that Ted was a good man in real life and she loved working for him.

I was a teenager when one day my mother was talking with her and my mom told her how I loved Ted Knight as Ted Baxter on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

A couple days later, Ted Knight came in to talk to me (she had told him what my mom said).

He talked to me for about 10 minutes. I hardly could say a word. Not only was I shocked that here was Ted Knight coming in to see me … I was also speechless because he was just so normal … very kind and polite to me. He kidded with me like he was Ted Baxter. There actually was a sweet, funny bit of Ted Baxter inside him.

Now, I shouldn’t speak badly of the departed, but I just find something funny about the following (and it doesn’t mean he was a bad man).

In the 1960s my mother was driving through the parking lot of the Brentwood Country Mart and, distracted, she almost ran over Fred MacMurray, who was walking through the lot.

Growing up, every so often, when Mr. MacMurray was on TV, my mom would giggle her sweet giggle, and say, “I’ll never forget the dirty look he gave me when I almost hit him!”

Well, fast forward years later and he’s a steady customer in one of our stores. Every time he’d come in I’d tell my mom to mention it to him … that years before she’d almost hit him and he’d given her a dirty look. I assured her he’d find it funny. My mom was really shy, but she finally relented, and told him.

He just kind of frowned, didn’t say anything, and placed his order. My mom was very embarrassed at his NOT NORMAL reaction, and shot me a glance saying, “Thanks a lot. That went over well.”

If I had been him, and someone had told me that, I would’ve found it hilarious. I would’ve joked and kidded with them.

It was so disappointing. Where was the kindly Steve Douglas of My Three Sons? He wasn’t there. He was just an illusion.

I’ve long been happy the Professor is on our side.

I’m so happy he turned out to be Ted Knight and not Fred MacMurray, if you know what I mean.

And Mrs. Jacobson ….. remember Ted Baxter’s sweet girlfriend Georgette? Georgette’s sweetness is no match for Mrs. Jacobson’s.

I could not be happier … could not be happier … that Mrs. Jacobson is on our side.

Mrs. Jacobson rocks!

So, JerryB, I guess in a nutshell … what I’m trying to say is …

After growing up among famous Hollywood people … to the point where seeing them is no big thing … they’re kind of a dime-a-dozen around these parts ….

For the first time … I guess I’m just a tiny wee bit starstruck.

We are going to win!

LukeHandCool in reply to LukeHandCool. | July 14, 2012 at 5:54 pm

“You know how proud we conservative men are to have the beautiful, normal, kind women on our side, like Sarah Palin, Dana Loesch, Michelle Malkin, etc.?”

I have to add Professor Reynold’s wife, Dr. Helen Smith, to that list, as well as LI’s Anne and Kathleen.

The conservative side has no shortage of beautiful, talented women!

JerryB in reply to LukeHandCool. | July 14, 2012 at 10:11 pm

You crack me up! You grew up in the land of movie stars, got dazzled by Ted Knight, and are now blown away by the Jacobsons. Normal must be a novelty out there, like here in MA.

I’ll second your love of normalcy. The left keeps cramming abnormal down our throats, and folks are getting more and more high strung. This is one reason the left hates the Tea Party. It’s loaded with normal folks who are standing up against the onslaught. And you’re right, normal will likely save the day, please God.

LukeHandCool in reply to JerryB. | July 14, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Is it so bad to be starstruck by normalcy? 🙂

SoCA Conservative Mom in reply to JerryB. | July 14, 2012 at 11:28 pm

You hit the nail on the head with “high strung” and can add totally self centered, needy, high maintenance, and self-aggrandizing to the list.

LHC is star struck at meeting the Jacobsons, because normal is rare in LA. I lived in LA for 3 years and never met any normal people.

LukeHandCool in reply to JerryB. | July 14, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Oh, Jerry.

Julie Andrews.

When my mom was dying in the hospital in December, 2010, Julie’s husband, the director, Blake Edwards, was in the room next door. He passed away two days before my mom. For almost a month my two sisters became very close to Julie, as one or the other or both of my sisters were with my mom 24/7 in the hospital for a month.

Julie Andrews, I’m happy to tell you, is pure, pure class.

A couple of times when she tried to cheer me up, I couldn’t get a word out, so in awe of her kindness and so sad at my mom’s decline.

I was outside the hospital one afternoon sitting on a bench with my little sister.

I told her I felt embarrassed that I hadn’t been able to speak when Julie was so nice to me, and I felt it had appeared rude to her. I asked my sister to apologize to her on my behalf and explain to her that the words just wouldn’t come out. My sister assured me she would, but she is so forgetful.

I said, “Please, Judy, promise me you won’t forget to explain and apologize to Julie for me.”

My little sister Judy, ever the jokester:

“Don’t worry, I won’t forget. I’ll just tell her you were starstruck.”

Julie Andrews … even better in real life than on the screen. Absolute, pure class.

LukeHandCool in reply to JerryB. | July 14, 2012 at 11:32 pm

@SoCA Conservative Mom

I was just having an abnormal day when we met that time. 🙂

JerryB in reply to JerryB. | July 15, 2012 at 2:15 am

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! I adore her voice.

LukeHandCool in reply to JerryB. | July 15, 2012 at 4:17 am

Some days I’d be sitting beside my mom’s bed holding her hand and Julie would make a phone call.

It was a delight to listen to her just talk on the phone. Just a beautiful voice when talking on the phone!

Christmas was coming up, and one day when my mom was sleeping, my sisters and I went to the hospital’s cafeteria to get some lunch. It was done up beautifully for the holidays.

My sisters and I sat down and started eating and a group of carolers appeared and started going up to tables and singing.

My little sister said, “Oh, let’s eat quickly and finish before they get to our table. It’s so embarrassing!”

My older sister replied, “It embarrasses me, too. But let’s just take our time. When they come to our table, I’ll just politely say, ‘Oh, thank you, but, Julie Andrews is in the room next door to us, so, you don’t really need to bother … we’re fine.'”

Tamminator in reply to LukeHandCool. | July 14, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Aww, LukeHandCool, ya big softie!

Hey, Professor, if you’re ever near Minneapolis, give me a call. We don’t have an ocean, but we’ve got some gorgeous lakes. I’ll buy!

LukeHandCool in reply to Tamminator. | July 14, 2012 at 11:40 pm

“Aww, LukeHandCool, ya big softie!”

It’s just because I’m on vacation for a month, Tamminator.

Without work, I eat too much all day … I lounge around … I don’t get around to exercising … I drink too much each night with dinner … and I start smoking.

It’s the vacation, I’m telling ya.

I might look like a big softie in the picture, but I’m usually a lean hard-body.

The marshmallow man next to me … I dunno what his excuse is. 🙂

L.N. Smithee in reply to LukeHandCool. | July 16, 2012 at 2:14 am

I was saddened by the loss of Blake Edwards. I was hoping to someday have an opportunity to ask him about a movie he directed in San Francisco called Experiment In Terror, a 1962 film noir classic.

What places that film above almost all others that have been shot here is that unlike Bullitt, Foul Play, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Rock, etc., it was 99.5% geographically accurate. In most films set in S.F., the hilly streets are utilized for car chases, but a native (like yours truly) knows that they would be impossible anywhere but on screen. What’s thrilling about Experiment In Terror to a S.F. resident is that it seemed to be of the utmost importance to Edwards for every path to every destination (with only one Marin County exception) to be precisely the way it would have been if the characters were real people living real lives according to the story. Actual S.F. addresses are mentioned, and sure enough, if one goes through the trouble of traveling to those coordinates, they would find the same exteriors where Lee Remick, Glenn Ford, Stefanie Powers & Ross Martin walked half a century ago.

Experiment In Terror was Edwards’ second film after the landmark Days of Wine and Roses, and long before his string of blockbuster Pink Panther movies. I don’t know if he was every questioned about his faithfulness to San Francisco details. I fear he’s taken those answers to his grave.

herm2416 in reply to LukeHandCool. | July 14, 2012 at 3:25 pm

LHC,
      Geez, I’m gonna call you butter, because you are on a roll! Two days in a row with great posts! Your visit sounds delightful….and, as a big sister, what a nice compliment you gave to Mrs. Professor!

Well done, once again!

Howz about changin’ yer L.I. picture, WAJ?

OH and wear the shades. Cool Dude.

Great shot of the two of you dudes.

LukeHandCool | July 14, 2012 at 4:46 pm

The only bad thing?

Mrs. Jacobson needs a new camera. There’s something wrong with the lens.

Half of the lens is quite flattering, the other half quite unflattering. I won’t say which half!

I kid! I kid!

My photogenic days are over and gone.

People always say that I’m just like my mom, personality wise.

My mom was a stunningly beautiful woman in her day, and as she grew old and her looks faded, she never complained about it, she never talked of getting plastic surgery, etc.

Looks were not important to her.

Man oh man. In this case … I am so NOT like my mom!

I want my photogenic days back! Anybody know any good plastic surgeons?

I have found that denial and self-delusion help keep me looking young. But it’s a very fragile existence. Just one insensitive truthful comment from a friend and the illusion is shattered forever. For that reason, I also find myself avoiding contact with friends whenever I can. I’m determined to make it work.

Bruce | July 14, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I’ve met them too: the nicest people!

kobayashi | July 14, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I think I figured it out – Professors profile pic is his Law School graduation pic, LOL.

I can relate, my avatar is my graduation picture…LOL

Just Kidding, my ‘theme’ as such is Don Quixote AND Captain Kirk AND Akira Kurizawa Samurai all ’tilting at windmills’, at least since before the 2008 election.

Seriously, great picture, story, and thread – thanks guys!

[parenthetically tilting (Jousting to be precise) IS the Maryland State Sport, which figures for a ‘Blue State’.]