Announcement

Announcement

Super Tuesday the day after

Super Tuesday the day after

Because of a number of distractions, I couldn’t devote much time to yesterday’s primaries yesterday, but here’s my net assessment, followed by some links:

Mitt Romney is the luckiest politician in recent memory.  He barely eked out a victory in Ohio and thereby dominates the headlines, while losing almost every other key electoral state, Georgia, Tennessee and Oklahoma.   Add in his victories in Massachusetts (uncontested in reality) and Virginia (only Ron Paul on the ballot) and some smaller caucuses, and Romney retains the mantle of inevitability despite having a weak showing.  Rick Santorum actually had a good night, but no one noticed, in part because he went from clear frontrunner in Ohio to loser in Ohio.  Newt didn’t have a particularly good night anywhere except for Georgia, but still got plenty of prime air time on cable last night.  Add it all together, and I’m not sure anything changed.

Comments

WoodnWorld | March 7, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Super Tuesday Explodes Two Myths About the Tea Party

Pay particular attention to the second “myth.” It confirms some things I have been saying for months:
    -First, the TEA Party is not a unified, monochromatic movement.
    -Second, there are quite a few TEA party supporters who have either voted for, or will vote for Romney.
    -Third, the TEA Party is not, in any way shape or form, a default vote for Gingrich.
    -Fourth, quite a few TEA Party supporters despise Newt for a number of reasons.
    -Fifth, and finally, the labels “TEA Party” and “Establishment” are ephemeral constructions.

Henry Hawkins in reply to WoodnWorld. | March 7, 2012 at 6:00 pm

The first four revelations are of the ‘duh’ variety, not in question in the first place, each often alluded to in these comments. The fifth is a self-validating opinion provided as ‘evidence’.

They are, however, entirely necessary propaganda to break down the considerable wall between the GOP Rino Squad and conservatives in and out of the GOP. Luckily, we prefer an opposition which thinks us stupid.

WoodnWorld in reply to Henry Hawkins. | March 7, 2012 at 6:45 pm

No one said you are stupid, but do please keep telling yourself how brilliant you all actually are. Most importantly, please keep perpetuating the “considerable wall” narrative. It seems to be working wonders for the fringe. Take a look at any one of the exit polls from yesterday or before, and show me exactly where “Establishment” starts and “Grassroots” begins. Take your time Hank…

I absolutely agree that the first four revelations are of the “duh” variety. In fact, could not agree more! What’s amazing is that I have had to argue them at all, what’s even more amazing is how many here have heatedly argued that they aren’t actually true or immediately self-apparent.

Henry Hawkins in reply to WoodnWorld. | March 7, 2012 at 11:38 pm

At some point you’ll learn to look within rather than always without for the answers to these anomalies that baffle you so.

WoodnWorld in reply to Henry Hawkins. | March 8, 2012 at 2:25 am

Who is baffled? Please. I thought we, you and I at least, agreed that this was elementary. Perhaps at some point you will turn to reason rather than emotion and explain to any one of us how Newt can actually win? How Newt’s, of all people right now, stubbornness does anything more than drag out the, yes, inevitable and aid and abet the Obama team.

WoodnWorld in reply to ThreeputtinIL. | March 8, 2012 at 11:42 am

Yes, I already read this one. If I am choking right now, it’s only on a little stifled laughter. Did you even read this or was it the first headline, the best link you could find to make a point? I ask because it’s not exactly a glowing endorsement for Newt and does not support him in the way I think many of his surrogates here wish it would. Seriuously, with “support” like this, who needs detractors?

Where to begin? First and foremost, the Washington Post is not exactly the first place I turn to when I am looking for sage, conservative, political analysis. Cillizza is nowhere near as bad as some others over there that I can think of, but given the company they all keep that really isn’t saying much.

That record has some within the party — mostly allies of former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum — urging Gingrich to drop from the race for the good of the party.

Notice that did not read “allies of former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney.” You may have also noticed (more likely, not) that I have not called on Gingrich to drop out. While Romney supporters know full well how futile the “Master Craftsman” staying in is, we are perfectly happy with both Rick and Newt doing so, know full well that they, at least partially, divide one another’s votes and am are content picking them off piecemeal.

Chris is not even the least bit circumspect when he alludes to Romney’s insurmountable delegate lead, the unlikelihood that Santorum will “wind up as the nominee” and the implication that Newt, by extension, is even less likely to do so.

In fact, “if” (perhaps the single largest word in the English language) seems to be the operative word for Newt.

If Gingrich can win in Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana — and, to be clear, that’s a big “if” — he will have stockpiled enough delegates in the most reliably Republican region in the country to give himself a bit of bargaining power with the eventual nominee.

Who do you think is more likely to carve off votes from Newt, Rick or Romney? Yup. Want to place any bets on who Newt’s biggest threat to victory is in the South?

If he holds out and can score wins in the deep South over the next three weeks — not entirely out of the question — then Gingrich is in a position to cut a deal with Romney who will be looking for ways to consolidate support and close out the nomination by then.

Whoa man. “Give himself bargaining power with the eventual nominee?” (Wonder who he is talking about there?) “Cut a deal with Romney?” That’s heady stuff there.

Another few weeks in the race has the possibility to do Gingrich a world of good when it comes to his bargaining power when he ultimately decides to bow out. He’s smart to stay in.

The more I read this article, the more I am convinced it actually does Mitt more favors than it does Newt. The longer Newt stays in it tamps Santorum’s impact. All of the contests down there are proportionally awarded. Even in Gingrich’s home state, Mitt picked up what, 13 delegates? Chew on that for awhile. Give it some time. Don’t choke on the implications.

Henry Hawkins in reply to WoodnWorld. | March 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm

It’s like this. you’re an identified troll. We throw you occasional posts knowing you’ll run off, look up and compile links, and write your little posts and for that while we’re rid of you and we can have a chuckle at your wild goose chase. Sort of like poking the monkey through the cage bars. Then you post your homework, which nobody reads. You can know this by the way you get neither likes or dislikes, because nobody read it. See?

WoodnWorld in reply to Henry Hawkins. | March 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm

It’s like that huh? Lol, aren’t you so clever. *yawn* Absolutely. brilliant. Weren’t you the clown who told people just to ignore me? Who warned people not to feed the “troll?” For not reading what I am writing, you sure seem to be reading what I am writing… See?

It’s weird though, and please don’t let me confuse your cute little narrative there with some facts, I really don’t mean to drop knowledge on you like this, but I seem to garner quite a few responses when I do post Hank. In fact, I often loosely measure the overall impact of anything I write by what percentage of any one of these threads is comprised by the aggregate of both my posts and the responses to them. Do a quick count here, just this thread, take your time… Yet another measure, in spite of your crib rocking ego masturbation, IS the number of downvotes I actually do receive.

Believe me when I say if your intent is to rid yourselves of me for any length of time, me all “running off,” taking time “looking up links” etc. you are doing a horrible job. This stuff comes out hot and fast, most of the links I post here (a recent development btw) have already been read (sometimes two, three times already) and my rebuttals are on a five, ten minute tether at worst. Would that my schoolwork was as easily handled as a response to you, that my professors folded and rolled over as hard and as fast as many of you do here, that this was half the challenge academia was… Homework indeed!

You act like being called a troll by someone like you and raven teh raver bothers me? You KNOW it makes me smile inside right? I mean it, truly and honestly. Every time you play that card I know you have exhausted whatever tiny little reserve of creativity you are currently drawing from.

Tell me, am I still the troll if/when I post in non-primary related posts? Will I still be a troll when the primary season is over or will that event demote me to regular commenter status? Do you even know what an internet troll is or is that just something you picked up by loitering out in comment sections over the weeks and months?