Recipient of Romney negative ad blitz speaks out

Recipient of Romney negative ad blitz speaks out

Things have been ugly on the airwaves in Iowa, and the recipient of those ads is going to start giving some of the ugly back.

It’s unfortunate that it has come to this, but it fits a pattern which goes back to Iowa in the 2008 cycle. Different recipients, same attacker.

Update: I’m already beginning to sense whining and a false sense of outrage that Newt and others are going to go negative on Romney, as if going after Romney the way Romney went after Newt is disloyal to the goal of defeating Obama.  Romney and his supporters did not hesitate to try to destroy Newt’s general election prospects with a strategy of crazy and us or no one attitude.

Keep this in mind:

But none of Romney’s 2012 rivals ran an ad solely taking on the former Massachusetts governor—a sign that they perhaps underestimated his rise in Iowa.

Just 20 percent of the negative ads airing in Iowa targeted Romney, even as part of an attack on multiple candidates, according to the Campaign Media Analysis Group. By comparison, 45 percent of the negative spots went after Gingrich—a statistic that explains, in part, why the former House speaker’s poll numbers in the state plunged in the final days of the campaign.

In hindsight, the decision to leave Romney untouched appears to be a serious miscalculation, one that Romney’s opponents are unlikely to repeat as the focus shifts to New Hampshire’s first-in-the-nation primary and onto other key early voting states, including South Carolina, Florida and Nevada.

Comments

huskers-for-palin | January 3, 2012 at 11:47 am

If Romney and friends are whining about negative ads now, just imagine their shock when the POTUS/MSM/Pop Culture express goes into full combat mode.

THERE WILL BE BLOOD!!! THERE WILL BE SCREAMS!!! THERE WILL BE HORROR!!! And it will be a glorious cinemascoped techinicolor slaughterhouse!!!!

They’ll be calling me. They’ll be canvassing at my door. They’ll be emaling me. They’ll be sending letters asking for money. Their minions will be on FB, blogs and chatrooms asking for help to combat the lies. They’ll be asking for bodies at their rallies.

The phone will click when they call, the door will slam in their faces, the letters will be returned empty, I won’t answer their blogs and I won’t attend the rallies. And the same goes for the local/state GOP who gets behind Romney.

When Romney gets “Palinized” don’t come crying to me because you and your establishment leaders were quiet when one of your conservative up-and-commers (who could of helped you in your endeavors) was left twisting in the wind. Don’t come making threats or innuendo if Palin or her supporters don’t endorse the “right” people or won’t stump for your buddies.

I’ve seen the GOP leadership get more mushy and progressive. They treat Reagan as a blip on the radar or as a fluke, never to return, and they’re linking arms to make sure that a conservative NEVER gets to be POTUS again.

The the GOP establishment and right wing intelligentsia are as worthless as boobs on a bull.

punfundit in reply to huskers-for-palin. | January 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Bravo, husker. I have zero desire to support or defend squishy Romney’s candidacy. My only recourse will be anti-Obama polemicals, and supporting the right Congressional candidates.

If squishy Romey wins, and he will need to be dragged across the finish line, I won’t be dancing in the streets. I will simply be relieved that statist (I reckon socialism and fascism are two sides of the same coin) Barack Obama will no longer be allowed to actively and vigorously ruin this nation.

Then it will be time to roll up my sleeves again and see what can be done to unseat squishy Romney in 2016, and who can do it.

DINORightMarie in reply to punfundit. | January 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Couldn’t agree more.

For me, it’s ABO. I would vote for a door knob over Obama. Romney’s feet can be held to the fire by a Conservative House and Senate. If he were to get the nomination, and somehow to beat Obama, then his progressive tendencies would have to be checked; forced by the Congress to go Conservative…..if he wants another term, that is.

Focus, focus, focus. More Conservatives in the House. Flip the Senate to a Conservative Repub majority. Change the occupant in the White House.

Newt has promised to use that EO power to eliminate the czars, to curtail and control invasive regulations, and to negate Obama’s harmful EOs.

Romney…….? TBD. But, if he is the nominee, he is orders of magnitude better than Obama. All IMHO.

SmokeVanThorn | January 3, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Huckabee was more than willing to play on anti-Mormon bigotry to advance his candidacy. He deserved everything he got.

huskers-for-palin | January 3, 2012 at 1:38 pm

If squishy Romey wins, and he will need to be dragged across the finish line,

*********************************************

I’ll let that vision ruminate in my mind. Uggggghhh!!!

It’s like a combination of a drag race and the movie “Weekend at Bernies”….two sides (DNc and RNC) trying to drag “corpse candidates” across the finish line.

If the situation weren’t so sad, it would be funny.

huskers-for-palin | January 3, 2012 at 1:42 pm

My only wish is that Palin stay in the game in some way. I wonder if she’ll run for another office someday. She’s young, fit and has a future.

I’d say stump and politics for conservatives. Build up political coinage.

To paraphrase the Joker, “She has shown Gotham City the establishment’s true colors.”

From the main post, above:

Update: I’m already beginning to sense whining and a false sense of outrage that Newt and others are going to go negative on Romney, as if going after Romney the way Romney went after Newt is disloyal to the goal of defeating Obama.

Elevation to link-on-the-main-page status ought to be a source of gratification, I suppose. But at the expense of being singled out and falsely tagged as some sort of whiner and conveyor of a “false sense of outrage” against Newt?

Hardly!

Well, I answered one bogus charge hurled at me by reiterating my point here.

I was not whining. This, my friends, is whining . . . i.e., continuously wondering out loud why, alas, no one is attacking Mitt Romney? That question might best have been directed at none other than Newt Gingrich!

But Newt was too busy caught up in the false notion that he was the inevitable nominee. Hell, he was even too busy basking in the glow to notice that he wasn’t going to even qualify for the primary ballot in his adopted home state, the Commonwealth of Virginia!

So, he can go out and say whatever he wants at this point, but few will be paying any attention, at least during the primary.

Newt could even go full-out bombastic and make a baseless claim that Romney would buy the election if he could, thereby handing Obama a free ad to use in the fall.

Oh, wait . . . he already did that!

markn in reply to Trochilus. | January 3, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Exactly, Trochilus. I clicked on the link and was left scratching my head. Whining? False sense of outrage? Really? I see much more of those things in posts that attribute everything (including the ineptness of some candidates campaigns, e.g., in Virginia) to the sinister operations of one candidate they intensely dislike.