Surrogate Fight Night – Open

Surrogate Fight Night – Open

A variety of things doing in the Stop Newt Express:

• The Romney campaign is going to use surrogates like Chris Christie to go after Newt: “Campaigning for the former Massachusetts governor in South Florida Thursday, Mr.
      Christie showed he may be the Romney attack dog.”
    • Isn’t that part of the problem, Romney dodging hard interviews and whining about hard questions?  Man up and go after Newt yourself, face to face at the next debate.  If you don’t, you’re Tim Pawlenty.
    • Romney plans to play up his 42 year marriage, with an implied jab at Gingrich.  I don’t think that will work, and in fact it will boomerang.
    • Top Romney Aide Call Gingrich Evil.  And it all dates back to 1985, if you can believe it.
    • Rick Santorum is getting in on the anti-Newt act, although at least he’s doing it himself.
    • Newt, by contrast, has put out the word to his campaign to take the high road.  Newt’s playing chess, the rest are playing checkers.
    • Have you noticed how many Obama backers lately are putting out the word they would rather face Newt?  Sure.
    • Verum Serum has a very weak attack on Newt which nonetheless is getting a lot of linkage (such as by me).  VS fails to acknowledge that there is a huge difference between supporting the concept of GSEs and supporting bad practices at Fannie/Freddie, something I pointed out in a Twitter exchange.

In non-Newt news, Rick Perry has released an ad trying to use his brain freeze as a plus.  Can Perry claw his way back?  I don’t think so, and not because I have anything against him, I don’t.  He just never convinced me that he was ready for the national stage, and apparently I’m not alone as his polling numbers have cratered.  But I do respect him more and more as he fights on and on.

What else?

Comments

Henry Hawkins | December 1, 2011 at 11:44 pm

The question isn’t ‘who among the GOP would make the best candidate against Obama?’ The question is ‘who *among the following* would make the best candidate against Obama: Gingrich, Romney, Cain, Perry, Bachmann, Paul, Santorum, or Huntsman?’ Not a single perfect, wartfree, pure as snow candidate there that I can see. Few would disagree, yet all we do is point out the warts on each other’s favorites.

I suspect Perry entered the race hoping, of course, for the nomination, but after nosediving, reset his sights on becoming the then ‘inevitable’ Romney’s VP. I think this is why he fights on despite nary a hint of resurgence.

I strongly doubt Ron Paul would make a third party run. Despite his iconoclastic history, he remains loyal to the GOP, fully understands a third party run may well guarantee an Obama second term, and is unlikely to do anything that might damage son Rand’s future political fortunes, which are currently quite promising.

As for Romney….. he’s the Stepford Candidate.

Re: Gingrich’s ‘baggage’, particularly the morality issue vis-a-vis his previous infidelities…. Keep in mind that one feature in people for which social conservatives and evangelicals bear a soft spot in their hearts is the redeemed sinner. Newt did what he did, quit doing it, and converted to Catholicism, with all apparent sincerity. Such rebirths are strongly approved among the large numbers of social conservatives and evangelicals who make up a considerable primary voting bloc in Iowa, South Carolina, and Florida, among other southern and southwestern states. Certain types of baggage can become a blessing in certain circles.

Joy in reply to Henry Hawkins. | December 2, 2011 at 12:14 am

Professor Jacobson…….great discussions but not much content about surrogates….I suspect it’s because most of us don’t care about who is the latest attack dog in this race…..I think you should have named this discussion Fight Night 😉

bobby b in reply to Henry Hawkins. | December 2, 2011 at 4:45 am

” . . . Gingrich’s ‘baggage’, particularly the morality issue vis-a-vis his previous infidelities . . . ”

I was surprised to learn – only lately – that a lot of that “morality”-centric hospital-bedside set of tales that eventually became The Story of Newt in our collective memories was made up out of whole cloth (Newt thinks he knows by who), so at least some of the pause-giving parts of The Story shouldn’t. Give pause, I mean.

Estragon | December 2, 2011 at 12:22 am

I find it hilarious that so many people who can’t stand John McCain’s guts are so far in the tank for Newt. They are essentially the same guy.

Both have strongly conservative voting records, but would go out of their way to back stab conservatives on a few important issues. Both are very arrogant, and both are total suckers for anything “green.”

Beyond that, McCain’s apostasies are perhaps more easily predictable, while Newt just goes rogue when he gets a wild hair up his anus.

But both love to disparage conservatives, to twist the knife. Neither can just disagree, they MUST be right and the conservatives who oppose them MUST be wrong and treated as if they were zombies breaking in the door.

Remember, Gingrich wasn’t thrown out of the Speaker’s chair by Democrats, he quit because his own caucus wouldn’t support him anymore.

bobby b | December 2, 2011 at 4:36 am

I was getting the famous thrill up my leg when Newt started showing up at these debate thingies at the beginning. I have always (I’m 55, for context of “always”) thought that, if he could somehow control one certain side of his personality – if he could avoid incidents or discussions or relationships that might somehow involve the use of the word “tantrum” – he could really hit his stride (finally) and do us a lot of good.

I’d love to see him come out and describe what really went on in Clinton’s AirForceOne aisle that day – in a spirit of honest full disclosure – and then (if warranted) tell us that he feels he’s matured quite a bit since then, that he recognizes now that he used to get a little too full of himself, and he’s embarrassed about times like that. That would be evidence of a self-awareness that was maybe weak twenty years or so ago, and would allow some of us oldsters
    to relax a bit.

I don’t mind if he still occasionally looks like he thinks he’s the smartest person in the room. He usually is. But it’s jarring when a person starts throwing that out as a dismissive shorthand for “no, I already have the answer for that, let’s move on.” Newt lacks patience for muddled or lazy thought (and his threshold for these is a bit higher than yours or mine) and sometimes he forgets how not to communicate that fact.

If he’s figured all that out, he’ll be better than before. And he had an impressive “before.”

Astroman in reply to bobby b. | December 2, 2011 at 8:02 am

bobby b, Newt is convinced he is the smarter and knows better than everyone else. Behold the arrogance of Newt:

GINGRICH: “They are not going to be the nominee. I don’t have to go around and point out the inconsistencies of people who are not going to be the nominee. They are not going to be the nominee.”

TAPPER: “You are going to be the nominee?”

GINGRICH: “I’m going to be the nominee.

Even Jake Tapper appears to be stunned and asks the question just to make sure he heard Newt correctly.

Now my itty-bitty brain may not be anywhere near as brilliant as Newt’s, but even I’m not stupid enough to declare victory before even a single vote is cast.

And this is true, even if one were to believe Newt is highly likely to win – it is an incredibly stupid thing to say. And given the polling throughout this primary, it is an incredibly stupid thing to believe, too.

We already have a president who thinks he’s a lot smarter than he already is. We don’t need another.

[…] Legal Insurrection (via Live at Five), the new Perry ad: GA_googleFillSlot("wpcom_sharethrough_viplite"); Share […]