If Newt survives the next two weeks

If Newt survives the next two weeks

The latest polling has caused an avalanche of attacks on Newt from just about every corner:

• Newt had an extensive interview with Glenn Beck (audio and transcript).  Beck hammered Newt on all the known Newt policy issues, and all of the questions were appropriate.  I think Newt handled it extremely well. Listen to the audio, and Newt fully addresses accusations that he is a “progressive.”  Beck has been a frequent critic of Newt, which shows that Newt is not afraid to go into a hostile forum. (added) Katrina Trinko has a good sampling of excerpts from the interview.
    • Michele Bachmann again shows why I never could vote for her (other than against Obama).  She was on Greta last night repeating like a mindless robot that Newt wants to legalize 11 million illegal aliens, and on the Beck show calling Newt a “frugal socialist.” Really, we can do better than Bachmann, please I hope I never have to vote for her.
    • Ron Paul is going negative for 4-5 days of new anti-Newt ads in Iowa.
    • Romney backer Ramesh Ponnuru is warning about “heartbreak” if Newt gets the nomination; Jennifer Rubin is doing her usual anti-Newt routine; and Rush is going all out as I type pointing out that the beltway Republican media is going all out against Newt.
    • MSNBC, picking up on a theme pushed last week by Politico, is accusing Newt of having a “split personality.”
    • A “conservative” concern troll at The Atlantic who always has been anti-Tea Party is saying Newt will be the end of the Tea Party.

If Newt survives the next two weeks in the lead, it will be hard to stop him.

I think he will survive the onslaught because none of these critics (other than the candidates themselves) makes the case for anyone else.  It’s just trying to tear down the latest challenger to Romney.

Comments

am4constitution | December 6, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Thanks ChuckLit2, you said it all. And I am troubled too, by the support shown on this blog for Newt. He is a big government progressive.

Oh how I wish we could evaluate each candidate on their positions, not so much on their campaign tactics. The tactics fade, but the policies and positions will remain long after the pressure of the election fades. The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior, this is where Newt fails.

This vote, as much as everyone wants to make us choose the anti-Obama, anti-Romney,establishment candidate, it does matter more than that. If we choose someone like Newt or Romney, the progressive train keeps on chugging. WHO Will save the REPUBLIC? THAT should be what your vote/support is based upon!

logos in reply to am4constitution. | December 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm

“And I am troubled too,…”

“troubled”: campaign troll alert!!!!

“WHO Will save the REPUBLIC?”

I await your answer to your own question….

Well….

am4constitution in reply to logos. | December 7, 2011 at 3:38 am

I am not a troll… never have been, never will be. I am concerned about Newt’s past, he is, as I stated in my post, a big government progressive. I am not! Therefore I AM TROUBLED!

If I had a clear cut answer on “WHO” would save our republic, I would have posted it!!!

You sir, are the TROLL.. I read all of your comments calling everyone out, it seems to me that you are the one trying to stir it up.

Add something to the discussion or move on instead of just calling out everyone as a troll with your “troll detector” because I used one of your “troll words”, troubled indeed!

Neo in reply to logos. | December 7, 2011 at 1:49 pm

There is a difference between a “Progressive” and a “progressive” .. one has a title, the other has progress.

JayDick in reply to am4constitution. | December 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Complain all you want. In reality, your choices are limited. So, choose one and be prepared to defend it or just be quiet. What’s it going to be?

logos in reply to JayDick. | December 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm

JayDick:

“So, choose one and be prepared to defend it or just be quiet. What’s it going to be?”

Certainly. My choice is: Anybody But Obama.

And, don’t forget Reagan’s 11th Commandment: Speak no ill of fellow Republicans.

“Is Obama your first choice? If not, then pick a Republican and go with it. And, vote for the Republican nominee or prepare for four more years of Obama. Those are your only realistic choices.”

Since I don’t live in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina or Florida, I’ll vote for the last man standing on the Republican ticket.

I’m not going to kick any of them. Obama is the one to defeat – not any one of the Republican candidates.

Nice talking points there. I like Newt too, he’s an abrasive genius but I think he would get pasted in the General election. To explain it, I’ll tell you a story.

Once upon a time long long ago (2002) in a faraway mythical land (Kansas), there was a young and conservative legislator named Shallenburger. The season of Primary was upon the land, and the young lad was filled with the Spirit of the Season, and threw his hat into the ring. Many were the opponents of the young lad, but in the end he had won the Primary, and was headed off to the General election, in which he would face the dreaded Sebelius. But his fellow Republicans were greatly distraught at the Conservative roots of the young man, and the things he said, and great was their fear. So when the Sebelius unleashed her waves of mud and slime upon him they did stand around and make uninterested noises instead of defending him. And they also contributed their own little bits and pieces to the gathering storm created by Sebelius, until a great wave of blue did wash the Sebelius into the Great Seat of Power, from which she ruled for many years.

Thus I expect Newt to be treated, for if he should gainsay the elusive post of Nominee, not only shall he face the slings and arrows of the Administration and their minions (MSM), but a veritable horde of his fellow Republicans flinging mud and rocks. And if you thought he caught a lot of crap in ’86, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

workingclass artist in reply to georgfelis. | December 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Well done georgfelis…

“the dreaded Sebelius. But his fellow Republicans were greatly distraught at the Conservative roots of the young man, and the things he said, and great was their fear…”

Epyllion!…lol…But the “Argonauts” lose

Thoughtful and entertaining as hell.

logos in reply to georgfelis. | December 6, 2011 at 2:29 pm

“Thus I expect Newt to be treated, for if he should gainsay the elusive post of Nominee…”

[gain·say [ gayn sáy ] 1.deny something: to say that something is false
      2.contradict somebody or something: to oppose or contradict somebody]

“…for if he should deny/oppose/contradict the elusive post of Nominee…”

Pardon me?

“…not only shall he face the slings and arrows of the Administration and their minions (MSM), but a veritable horde of his fellow Republicans flinging mud and rocks.”

Please name a Republican candidate who will NOT face the false claims, lies and innuendos of the mainstream media?

So, if the Dems, the MSM and the elite Establishment Republicans fling mud and rocks, that makes Newt an attractive “outsider”.

I guess the only candidate the Establishment Republicans won’t fling mud and rocks at is…Romney?

JayDick in reply to georgfelis. | December 6, 2011 at 2:50 pm

First, Newt is not Shallenburger (I am not familiar with the candidate). Newt is very tough and will respond hard when he needs to.

Second, he doesn’t need the Republican establishment even though it might be helpful. He is running for President and will conduct his own campaign his own way.

Moreover, Newt’s responses to attacks are likely to be more damaging to the attacker than the attacks were to Newt.

Newt is a fighter the likes of which are seldom seen in politics. Sometimes that’s a negative, but I think this year it will be a positive. I can’t see Romney or anyone else conducting the kind of tough campaign it will take to beat Obama. I also think that’s part of the reason he is catching on with Republican primary voters.

dmacleo | December 6, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I could vote for newt (unlike romney) but am very suspicious of his past.
    I think (no proof) that he may have changed and he knows he will always be scrutinized due to his past statements and actions.
    he admits making mistakes, no way to tell if those admissions are truly how he feels or just trying to garner votes, but he does seem to care about dismantling what obama has done.
    I just wish we had proof he actually would move towards a lot smaller fed government and return power to states.
    IMO he and perry are tied for my vote, either better than romney and what I just flushed is betetr than obama.
    I like bachman but her habit of attacking candidates is coming off as mean spirited.

Darkstar58 in reply to dmacleo. | December 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Michele Marie Bachmann, Supertar!

Astroman in reply to dmacleo. | December 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I don’t like Romney or Gingrich, but I’d vote for Romney before I would Gingrich.

Romney isn’t liberal, he isn’t conservative, he’s ambitious. He wants to be president. If Romney becomes president, he will be a status quo Republican like Boehner or McConnell.

But Gingrich is still the same ol’ Gingrich – his ego is out of control. Out of control ego = I know better than you = shoving stuff down your throat.

Want proof? Gingrich has already declared, let’s face it, I’m the nominee. Despite a wild primary, that he has a weak organization, and not a single vote has been cast.

Newt says he was paid millions for a history lesson – and he thinks you’re dumb enough to believe it.

If you compare Gingrich and Perry, you don’t have to hope Perry will be more conservative than Gingrich – Perry’s record IS more conservative and consistent than Gingrich’s. Perry isn’t always right, but he has something Gingrich will never have – humility. Perry is willing to admit mistakes and listen to the will of the people vs. Newt who thinks he knows what’s best for you.

As flawed as Perry is, it is no contest.

JayDick in reply to Astroman. | December 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Perry against Obama would also be no contest. Obama would win going away. Perry has no idea of the dirty tactics Chicago politics involves.

Obama must be defeated. Romney and Gingrich have the best chance of doing that. Gingrich seems to have more toughness than Romney and therefor might have the edge. No one else running comes close.

workingclass artist in reply to JayDick. | December 6, 2011 at 3:36 pm

JayDick…Obviously you’ve never met a Texas Democrat.

Perry has been through the ringer with liberals in Texas who have hated him with a vengence ever since the former Rising Bluedog Star jumped the fence to the GOP in 1989. Where do you think the WAPO painted rock story came from…a loser file from either the Texas DNC or Rove’s KBH his won’t work in Texas file.

About the only people who hate Perry worse is Ron Paul fanatics who are trolling for hookers & strippers in Austin with ads but there’s nothing there.

When Perry sent the Texas Rangers to OK to fetch fleeing yellowdogs who were trying to hijack the session it was a hoot. Perry can negotiate with them but he won’t let them push him around. The democrats always get the slim pickings off a rotten bone in a legislative contest against Perry.

I’m not worried about Obama’s Axelrod Machine & I doubt Perry is either.

Perry is the only candidate in the race to beat both an Axelrod and a Rove campaign.

Darkstar58 in reply to workingclass artist. | December 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

“If a Chi-Town Democrat went up against a Texas Yellowdog I’d put money on the Texan and win the bet.”

Perry couldn’t handle Mittens in their little love-tap episode a few debates ago – how in the world do you think he will be able to stand up to a Media Supported pathological lair, and class-warfare champion, Obama?

I like the guy, a lot, but there is just no way he can beat Obama at this stage of his career because he just cant think on his feet and/or relay an answer in an acceptable manor. He will be a media punching bag like we haven’t seen since, well, the second term of Bush; which you might remember, happened to give us the huge Progressive movement we are facing now…

Perry would be an ideal VP though, with the constant public-eye experience being what is probably needed to see if he can learn to handle on the fly public speaking and eventually run for the top spot again.

Astroman in reply to workingclass artist. | December 6, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Darkstar58, do you really think Romney got the best of Perry in that spat? I encourage you to watch the clip again and notice how Mr. Cool Romney loses his cool, turns bright red, places his hand on Perry, and pleads “save me Anderson Cooper, you’re my only hope!” Not to mention Perry forced Romney’s gaffe “I can’t have illegals, I’m running for office for Pete’s sake!”

If you think the media will allow ANY Republican to “beat” Obama in the debates, you are kidding yourself. Take Gingrich, for instance. Let’s assume Gingrich runs circles around Obama in the debates. That’s a positive for Gingrich, right? WRONG!

The media will spin it not as Obama being the weaker debater, but as Gingrich as the fat white-haired Southern pasty white guy acting condescendingly towards the young, hip black guy.

Since the racist stereotype of blacks is that they aren’t smart, there is NO WAY the media would allow the story to be a white guy outsmarting or out-debating the black guy, even if it was true in this particular instance. The media would sell it, and the public, being scared to death of being thought racist, would buy it hook, line, and sinker.

No, the best outcome we can hope for in the debates with Obama is to present a clear contrast with Obama – a clear not-Obama. And what better contrast to the Chicago politician than a blunt, plain spoken Texan who isn’t about words, but about a record of results?

Darkstar58 in reply to workingclass artist. | December 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Yes Romney won that spat because it made both of them look horrible childish buffoons – but at least Mitt came off as the one actually trying to get off of the absurd and just answer the rather pitiful attempt at an attack.

And how did Perry fair? He got the Peppermint Patty treatment…

Way to go you Tough Texas Yellow-dog! :/

As far as Obama v Newt – the media cant cover up situations like the whole Paul v Newt debate and simple dismissal of Pauls entire argument with a single 3 word response. Obama tries his “ATMs destroy jobs” or “bailing out GM created millions of jobs” nonsense against Newt and its going to be borderline hysterical watching Obama get torn apart.

GrumpyOne in reply to JayDick. | December 6, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Chicago mob political manipulation goes way back to a century or more. Most notable was the stealing of the 1960 Presidential election by the “dead” voters in Cook County. Perry would never stand a chance against that bunch.

And I think that you’re right as regards Romney’s vs. Newt’s chances against the anointed one. Romney’s a more, “steady as she goes,” type of personality.

I still look to Newt to implode in less than a couple of months.

dmacleo in reply to Astroman. | December 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm

he’s ambitious. He wants to be president

that describes obama too, souless panderer.

romney is an earthworm, he twists around on himself and knots himself up in a pile of muck. he will always tell you what you want to hear. just ask him.

Astroman in reply to dmacleo. | December 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I’ll take the unprincipled politician any day over the committed ideologue who is guided by ideals directly opposed to conservatism.

The unprincipled politician will be a mixed bag of good and bad, but the one who believes he is smarter than you and knows better than you will cram it down your throat every chance he gets.

Jaydee77 | December 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I dont think it can be understated how toxic Bachmann would be for the GOP in a general election. There is not a single circumstance in which I would even consider voting for her.

workingclass artist | December 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Well I’m a Perry supporter because I’m a native conservative Texan and I live in Texas. If Perry can turn it round for other states then liberals will quit moving here.

If I had to choose an alternative it would be Newt over Mitt but I have grave concerns given his erratic leadership history. These are legitimate concerns and the “New” Newt hasn’t sold me.

I would not vote for any congressional backbencher so that takes out CrazyUncle Paul and Bachmann.
    (Sorry but Bachmann and Santorum are annoying as hell)

Santorum lost his last race and has a google problem he keeps whining about.

So that leaves aside from Perry, Mitt, Huntsman, Newt.

Huntsman has some good conservative plans and a pretty good record in Utah..But he’s made a mistake in running as the different Mitt. I think he could win disaffected democrats more than Mitt can. He’s also supposed to good at retail politicking & Mitt is not.

I’ll vote for Johnson or Roemer in an independent run before I’ll vote for Mitt since I think the race is lost with Mitt anyway.

Mitt will not undo Obamacare…He’ll try and fix it and sell it to the rest of us because his ego is in it with Romneycare.

I frankly don’t think Newt can win former Clinton democrats…But I could be wrong.

I’ll stay with Gov. Perry as long as he’s in the race and I think he’ll surprise some people.