Can The Daily Caller survive?

Can The Daily Caller survive?

I haven’t posted about the Twitter and blog war which broke out over a clip of Mike Tyson trash talking Sarah Palin in very explicit and violent sexual ways, although I did spotlight Dan Riehl’s post about it as Post of the Day.

The controversy is not that a convicted rapist would make such statements, but that The Daily Caller would run the clip with a bold traffic-grabbing headline and keep it there without so much as any commentary (which was not added until later).

I can’t say it was the worst trashing of Palin I’ve ever seen, but it definitely was the worst I’d ever seen at a supposedly conservative website and one which has a high profile.  While the post quoted Tyson, it was pure traffic-baiting using sexual violence against Palin as the tease.

There is a huge difference between an article discussing despicable comments about conservative women, and quoting the language in the context of analysis, and what The Daily Caller did.

Dan Riehl drove the issue hard (including one post he has since taken down in which he used some parody to impugn what The Daily Caller had done).  And then Greta Van Susteren got involved with a brutal take down of her “friend” Tucker Carlson, who runs The Daily Caller (bold lettering in original):

I really don’t understand my friend Tucker Carlson.  He owns the website The Daily Caller and it currently has on its front page the most vile story — referring to a sex act with Governor Sarah Palin as a “womb shifter.”  It is even the headline. Do you know what that means?  Figure it out  It is really vile.  It is not just smut…this is violence against women.

Once Greta got involved, the controversy went mainstream, with a post at Politico and a long Memeorandum thread.

Carlson went on Greta’s show last night, and he didn’t do himself any favors:

Carlson tried to call it mere news reporting, but it was pure traffic baiting.  Greta saw it for what it was, and Carlson just kept digging.

The damage to The Daily Caller is enormous.  It now is the subject of widespread mockery, such as this “Hitler” video from Three Bears Later blog.

This is a disaster compounded by the folks at The Daily Caller digging while in a hole, and digging even harder when people called them out on it, and doubling down on the digging as it went viral.

Can The Daily Caller survive?  Should it?

Depends on how much money its investors want to throw at it, because at this point it’s a pretty deep hole they’ve dug.

Comments

A mentally disturbed, psychopathic, convicted rapist, piece of filth made vile, violent and sexual remarks about Palin and it becomes “news”?

The only reason to report that bit of nastiness is to drive traffic to the DC. It’s not newsworthy even in the context of horrific misogynistic comments made about Palin in the last 3 and a half years. What’s next? Are they going to seek an interview with Charles Manson to see how he feels about Sarah?

BannedbytheGuardian in reply to Sanddog. | September 21, 2011 at 5:42 am

Touche. Sand doggie, Did you know that Sarah’s mother was a schoolgirl friend of Sharon Tate.

Will the circle be broken? Will Bernadette Dorn (Mrs Ayres) ever recant her statement about how cool it was that the murderers stuck a fork in their victims stomachs & ate lunch?

There is a Dory Previn song I seem to recall that fits this. I shall go to my vinyls.

JimTreacher in reply to Sanddog. | September 21, 2011 at 8:59 am

There has been a trend of virulent invective against conservative women, the sort of thing that would be considered hate speech if it was flung at liberal women. This is just one example of the double standard. If you don’t think that’s newsworthy, okay. Personally, I do.

Weirddave in reply to JimTreacher. | September 21, 2011 at 9:35 am

Except that’s not the story you reported. *shakes head* You guys are really a piece of work. In all of your frenzied spin across the conservative blog-o-sphere, have you had even 10% of replies agreeing with you? *I* haven’t seen it, but here y’all persist, merrily whacking away at the DC brand with crowbars. You’re doing yourself damage. Stop it.

JimTreacher in reply to Weirddave. | September 21, 2011 at 9:50 am

Yes, that is the story we reported. And I appreciate your exhortation to shut up, but I don’t think I’ll comply.

syn in reply to JimTreacher. | September 21, 2011 at 10:20 am

Mr Treacher, by all means don’t shut up.

How else will the DC boys write all those ‘polarizing’ news stories if you’re not head-lining vile and nasty misogynism gratuiously employed by trash mouth psychopaths.

You can be proud to know The Club of Journolistic Circle-Jerkers continues gaining members left, right and center.

DaveW in reply to JimTreacher. | September 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I agree. I think Treacher should keep talking and we should all pay attention.

Whether it was his incessant whining and conspiracy theorizing about being injured in his pedestrian accident, or his embarrassing twittering about losing internet service during a snow storm, Treacher has demonstrated he’s anything but a grown man. At least as that term is understood in places outside the metrosexual universe where Tucker Carlson is considered manly.

JimTreacher in reply to JimTreacher. | September 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm

“Ha ha, you got hit by a car.”

[…] disgusting display — on the radio. And a supposedly sound Conservative blogsite gets in deep water over its inappropriate manner in publicizing […]

I watch DC for the news and it certainly gives me that. I find out things there and no where else. The trick is to never read anything criminals or perverts say about anything. I only read and commented on 50-Cent’s comment the other day that he has not chosen a presidential candiate for the laughs. I never read about what any celebrity says on DC. I am definitely a Palin fan but, really, you should understand that you will be offended to the max by ANYTHING Mike Tyson says. This is all his theme song and it really got attention, didn’t it? If I had my way, nothing like this comment, by him or anyone else, would ever be published or repeated. Palin should sue and nevermind public figures cannot sue. This one would have grounds and would maybe shut up some of these trash mouth psychopaths.

Well, judging from this board, Jim Treacher was successful in reaching his goal: drawing attention to himself and not the subject matter at hand.

Cheap and transparent, Jim, hope you are patting yourself on the back.

Hurricane | September 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Thanks. The only two liberals that can be trusted.