Yes, but

Yes, but

Obama’s disapproval rating hit a new high in the Gallup daily survey:

I would not put too much weight on this.  Yes, it is reflective of a growing discontent.

But for reasons which are beyond me, Obama remains personally well-liked.  Don’t be complacent, or underestimate his ability to overcome unhappiness with his performance.

The Axelplouffe strategy will be to tear down the Republican nominee and make the election about everything other than Obama’s job performance.

Comments

Cowboy Curtis | August 29, 2011 at 10:09 am

I don’t think that many people actually like him personally, I think many are still afraid saying that they don’t like the black guy will seem racist.

But you’re right about not getting complacent. He’s wounded, but he’s got the power of the White House and an all-in media behind him, and a poor nominee choice on our part can still hand him a very solid victory.

retire05 in reply to Cowboy Curtis. | August 29, 2011 at 11:31 am

Curtis, when the media has to show Obama sitting in on Hurricane Hype Command Center, they are struggling to give Obama some credibility as to leadership. When photos are shown of the multiple teleprompters just to speak to 6th graders, one has to question that meme of the “smartest man to ever occupy the Oval Office.”

Like him personally? How do you judge you like someone personally when you have never met them? Is this an example of the “cult of personality?” I love Willie Nelson’s music (he’s a brilliant song writer) but personally, I don’t like HIM. He’s Nashville’s answer to Dennis Kucinich or Ron Paul.

I think American voters, as more of them wind up on the unemployment list, are going to care less about likability and more about capability.

Rosalie | August 29, 2011 at 10:13 am

No matter how well liked he is, O has shown over and over that he’s not a leader and has no plan other than to raise taxes and expand government. When people are out of a job or are hurting financially, I have to believe they’re going to pull the lever for his opponent. If he should happen to get reelected, than we’re in sorrier shape as a nation than I thought, and that’s very frightening.

retire05 | August 29, 2011 at 11:34 am

Professor, it seems some pundits are a little more concerned with the falling approval rates than you are. Today Politico (now officially a member of the Obama press) has an article asking “Is Rick Perry Dumb?”

Seems I remember this very thing about Ronald Reagan. He was a “cowboy”, an actor, not very smart, yada, yada. The only things that are certain are death, taxes and the left-wing statists labeling any conservative as “dumb.”

JayDick | August 29, 2011 at 12:06 pm

One of the first lessons I learned upon entering the computer network profession (after 30 years or so as an auditor) was that intelligence manifests itself in many different ways. Previously, I had thought that anyone who sounds dumb probably is. In the computer business, I encountered numerous people (native speakers of English) who could hardly utter a complete sentence and for whom grammar was a foreign concept. But, put them to work on a thorny computer problem and they would perform miracles. Were these people dumb? Not in my book.

Perry doesn’t sound dumb to me (folksy maybe), but he may to some Eastern elites. But you can’t fault his political acumen. At worst, he knows how to find and follow good policy advice. That’s not bad, not bad at all.

Insufficiently Sensitive | August 29, 2011 at 12:11 pm

People are willing to declare their ‘liking’ for individuals with whom they differ in most attitudes, particularly if the individuals are worthy of a minority label. It shows that the one doing the ‘liking’ is noble and multicultural. There are exceptions – for instance the ‘principled and tolerant’ leftists who despise GW Bush, and Condoleeza Rice, and Sarah Palin, and Scott Walker, and pull no punches demonizing them.

Has anyone seen the Jeffery Toobin article on Clarence Thomas in the New Yorker? Here’s a leftist who has probably spent the last 30 years singing in the anti-Thomas chorus of ‘dumb, unqualified robotic Supreme Court nebbish’. Suddenly he’s awakened to admit that Judge Thomas is a (choke) real legal scholar, and whose legal reasoning in SCOTUS decisions bears a real threat to outcomes-based blue-state Constitutional distortions.

Better late than never, Mr. Toobin.