Announcement

Announcement

Prof. Susan Feinberg: Proud to have confronted Paul Ryan / Update – Audio added

Prof. Susan Feinberg: Proud to have confronted Paul Ryan / Update – Audio added

Susan Feinberg, the Rutgers Professor who confronted Paul Ryan at a D.C. restaurant over the cost of a bottle of wine ordered by people at Ryan’s table, appeared on the Dom Giordano radio show in Philadelphia moments ago (h/t to a commenter).

I hope to have the audio soon, and will post it.  The quotes below are my quick “live” transcriptions, they are substantively accurate although if any of the precise wording is off, I apologize.

Feinberg started out by recounting the events.  She confirmed that one of the people at the table other than Ryan ordered the bottle of wine in question.  She also tried to listen to the conversation at Ryan’s table, but could only hear part of it.  She said she heard a part of the conversation at the Ryan table where someone said something  “to the effect that liberals think that if you’re a millionaire you’ve done something wrong.”

Feinberg denied she was inebriated, having had half a bottle of wine over the course of dinner.

She confirmed that she said to Ryan’s table that a family of four making $10 an hour would not make as much in a week what the wine cost. “I asked him how he lived with himself … knowing that the policies he was proposing would be incredibly devastating to seniors ….”

Feinberg refused to say what her husband did.   She justified her own state salary [she didn’t say it, but it’s $160,000 per year] and the fact that tuition is expensive at Rutgers by saying “I’m not out espousing policies that would gut health care for tens of millions of people” or “give vouchers to seniors.”

She said there was no zone of comfort for Ryan or other politicians.  “I’m quite comfortable with it” referring to confronting Ryan at a restaurant.

She said Ryan would “basically take Medicare away” from people.  She claimed that someone was “in the process of buying” Ryan until she confronted him.  “How let them eat cake is that.”

She said that as to her $80 bottle of wine, she talked with her husband about whether it was too extravagant, but he insisted because it was her birthday.  “If I’d seen that kind of excessive behavior by someone on the left I probably would have said something.”

“I don’t think that line of questioning is terribly useful” she said when Giordano asked her at what point the wine becomes too expensive.

When a listener called in to wonder why she’s not complaining about Obama family vacations that taxpayers pay for, Feinberg said  “I guess I don’t think the situation is necessarily the same.  The key issue with Ryan is that he is the architect [of a plan] gutting Medicare for seniors… and taking health care away from tens of millions of middle class and lower income Americans.”

Giordano questioned whether it would be okay for someone who votes “the right way”  to order an expensive bottle of wine.  Feinberg claimed she would have confronted Nancy Pelosi in the same situation.

A listener called in: “Who gave you the right to do what you did?  In my opinion what you did was way over the line…”

Feinberg said “there is a law that does not allow members of Congress to accept gifts over $100….”  “Paul Ryan should probably thank me that I reminded him that he wasn’t allowed to do that…. otherwise he would have been in violation of the law.”

Update: The Right Scoop has the full audio (also an excerpt at the link, but I suggest you listen to the whole thing):

Tags:

Comments

Gee, I dunno, Ms. Feinberg – how does the state of New Jersey justify paying $160,000/yr. for an associate professor?

Shouldn’t that money be spent on widows’ and orphans’ healthcare, or given to those poor unfortunate souls who only make $10/hr?

BTW, Ms. Feinberg, you should be thanking me for pointing this out to you…..

sarahconnor2 | July 12, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Since the eminent Sue Feinberg advocates eavesdropping on other people’s conversations, I would like to encourage my fellow Americans to eavesdrop on her conversations whenever she is in public and post what was discussed on-line. It could make a great website in and of itself.

JEBurke | July 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Gotta love the internet. Go here to see how her Rutgers Business School students rate her:

One says her course is the worst ever and a total waste of time and the she is a total headcase. Others recount stories illustrating just how much of a loony leftist she is. One calls her “bibilous” and suggests, topically, that she should be drinking more coffee. Another remarks that she seems hostile to entrepreneurs. Still another opines that she doesn’t appear to know the difference between public and private funds.

To top it off, the site informs us that one book she uses in the course is Alinsky’s “Rules for Radicals.” Not surprising, I guess, but she is supposed to be teaching international business.

At least some of her students get what crap she is dishing out, but lamentably, the Rutgers boobs who gave her tenure are on another planet

gs in reply to JEBurke. | July 12, 2011 at 8:22 pm

1. I couldn’t find a mention of Alinsky via your link. Perhaps you could give a more explicit link or a screenshot?

2. The Talking Points piece appeared on July 8. Before that date Feinberg received five “Good” and two “Poor” ratings. After that date, as of this writing, she has six “Poors” and one “Average”.

3. Wow, the TPM piece really infuriated Feinberg’s students.

What other explanation could there be?

JEBurke in reply to gs. | July 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Go to the linked page and click on “Books used by professor”

William A. Jacobson in reply to JEBurke. | July 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Hard to know what was added after the controversy started, and what was there before.

gs in reply to JEBurke. | July 15, 2011 at 12:01 am

“Go to the linked page and click on “Books used by professor””

I did and got nothing. Hence my comment. I just tried again and found the Alinsky.

A course syllabus would probably settle the point. I couldn’t find one. A better googler than I might succeed.

gs in reply to JEBurke. | July 12, 2011 at 9:16 pm

1. Two of the “Poor” ratings described in my previous comment were posted on 7/15/10; I misread that as 7/15/11. Meanwhile another “Poor” has appeared on the site. The current aggregates are:

Before the TPM piece: 5 Good, 4 Poor.
      After the TPM piece: 5 Poor, 1 Average.

The disparity noted in my previous comment persists, in weakened form.

2. Sorry, Bill. I get stupid after coding too long. Or maybe commenter burnout is a counterpart to blogger burnout.

Captain Obvious | July 12, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Am I the only one who noticed that a single person making $10 an hour in a 40 hour work week makes $400, and that’s MORE than $350 not less? And what the hell does any of that have to do with a “family of 4” unless there’s even more income? And what the hell is the point of that arbitrary metric anyway? When you fail at math that hard, you should jump at the chance to admit being inebriated. When a self proclaimed “economist” fails that hard, it’s time to self-medicate.

Sanddog | July 13, 2011 at 2:23 am

Feinberg is a nasty piece of work. The woman who gave $1,700 to Obama in 2008 is whining about someone paying $350 for a damned bottle of wine? That $350 Ryan spent has done a hell of a lot more for the economy than the $1,700 tossed away by Feinberg.